2022 Summer Intern Computational Biology at Takeda Pharmaceutical
2022 Summer Intern Computational Biology at Takeda Pharmaceutical. Takeda fosters a collaborative and stimulating work environment filled with opportunity and the chance to make a difference in people’s lives. It is a workplace driven by integrity, one of Takeda’s long-held values that extends to both the patients we serve and our employees who develop and deliver medicines. Across our company, Takeda employees bring together diverse strengths that together create a stronger whole.
2022 Summer Intern — Computational Biology
Job ID: R0055240
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
About the role:
Takeda’s summer internship program blends real world experience with an extensive overview of the pharmaceutical industry. Knowledgeable mentors will provide guidance as you gain professional hands-on experience. The summer internship program is 12 weeks in length and offers a unique perspective into a world-class pharmaceutical company. Our internship program also provides you the opportunity to network with people at Takeda through various planned events and activities.
1. Internship Project Overview
This internship project will focus on utilizing unstructed text data as the source and using artificial intelligence and/or machine learning approaches to capture key information on cognitive disorders, disease progress, and treatment outputs. The prospective intern will need to first extract information from social media (e.g. reddit), then curate and organize the data for AI/ML inputs, and build/test AI/ML models to capture key features and generate insights on disease, disease progress, and/or treatments.
2. Desired Majors/Degree:
- A student majors in computational biology, bioinformatics, Computer Science, Statistics, or a related field.
- All degree levels will be considered, with a preference on PhD students.
3. Technical Competencies:
- Proficient in R and Python.
- Familiar with deep learning platforms such as Keras, PyTorch, and/or TensorFlow.
- Good experience on programming ways to scrape information from social media sites.
- Some background knowledge on cognitive disorders.
- Quantitative science background including machine learning, particularly deep learning, and statistics.
- Good experience with building machine learning based predictive models using biomedical data including genomics and patient phenotype data
- A self-motivated, hard-working, and responsible researcher.
- Excellent communication skills and attitude for collaboration
- Be part of an interdependent team and willing to contribute to multiple projects
How you will contribute:
- Deadline-driven with a high level of organizational and planning skills
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and oral and written communication skills; he or she also has the ability to work well in teams, effectively manage projects, and present ideas clearly and concisely.
- Global mindset to grow in a diverse work environment
- Excellent communication and leadership skills
What you bring to Takeda:
- Must be authorized to work in the US on a permanent basis
- Must be available full time (40 hours/week) a minimum of 12 weeks during the Summer months
- Minimum GPA 3.0/4.0
- Undergraduate, Graduate, PhD, MD student with at least one year of university studies before internship.
- Return to university for at least one semester post-internship
- Takeda does not provide student housing or housing stipends
Salary & Location:
- Intern pay rate ranges are from $18/hour to $45/hour, depending on students level in their undergraduate or graduate program and level professional experience.
- Location is COVID-19 dependent, remote applicants may apply.