American Red Cross QC Laboratory Technologist Vacancy 2022
As one of the nation’s premier humanitarian organizations, the American Red Cross is dedicated to helping people in need throughout the United States and, in association with other Red Cross networks, throughout the world. We depend on the many generous contributions of time, blood, and money from the American public to support our lifesaving services and programs. At the American Red Cross, you will enjoy a collaborative work culture committed to the diversity of our people, programs, and services. If you share our passion for helping people, join us in this excellent career opportunity. Work where your career is a force for good.
Job Title: QC Laboratory Technologist
Location: Portland, OR
What We Need From You:
- Associate degree in science, or Bachelor’s degree in an applied science is required
- MLT (ASCP) or MT(ASCP) certification is a plus
- No additional experience is required for MLT or MT degreed staff.
- Minimum 4 years of related experience in a regulatory, laboratory, or manufacturing environment or equivalent combination of education and related experience required for non-MLT/MT staff. Must meet state and CLIA requirements where applicable.
- Ability to use a wide variety of lab or medical equipment, personal computer and applicable software for sustained periods.
- Ability to work with a team.
- May be required to work overtime, other shifts, early mornings, evenings, holidays, and weekends to meet the needs of the department.
- Requires standing, stretching, stooping, and bending for extended periods. Lift, pull, push and move objects of up to 50 pounds. May work in walk-in refrigerator/freezers for periods.
What You’ll Do:
As a QC Lab Technologist you will perform basic through advanced manufacturing, processing and test procedures on blood products, and will interpret test results before releasing blood to area hospitals. You will manufacture and prepare pathogen reduced platelet products for hospital patient use, in a highly regulated environment. Successful QC Lab Technologists will have a strong attention to detail, a customer-service focus and the ability to treat both internal and external customers with compassion at all times.
- Perform moderate to high complexity laboratory testing procedures and interpret various testing procedures on donor specimens, and blood products; Identify and quarantine products/samples that don’t meet quality requirements.
- Meet the quality and quantity production and testing goals established by the department.
- Ensure products are suitable for release for distribution.
- Meet the quality and quantity production and testing goals established by the department, and appropriately manage any exceptions.
- Prioritize workload to meet production and customer requirements.
- Perform quality control on products, reagents, equipment, and various test kits; maintain accurate electronic and physical inventory locations for products/samples.
- Participate in troubleshooting and problem-solving activities with cross-functional teams.
- The aforementioned responsibilities of the Distribution Technician describe the general nature and level of work and are not an exhaustive list.
- The duties are representative of the essential functions of the position. Operational flexibility is required to meet sudden and unpredictable needs. Available to work overtime, other shifts, early mornings, evenings, holidays and weekends.
- Requires standing, stretching, stooping and bending for extended time periods. Lift, pull, push and move objects of up to 50 pounds. May work in walk-in refrigerator/freezers for periods of time. Work under pressure and within time standards.
- Required to wear protective clothing such as lab coats, gloves, face shields, etc. when there is exposure to blood and blood products and/or where work location requires
American Red Cross QC