Bioinformatics Intern at IQVIA – Applications Invited
Bioinformatics Intern at IQVIA – Applications Invited. A joint venture of IQVIA (formerly QuintilesIMS) and Quest Diagnostics, Q2 Solutions combines the best of each parent organization’s clinical trials laboratory services capabilities to fulfil its mission of treating each sample as if a life depends on it.
Work Location: Durham, North Carolina, United States
Category: Part time
Job Code: R1209374
Date Posted: 05/20/2021
Setting comprising individuals of diverse talents across computer science, molecular biology, statistics and genomics. He/she will be part of a dynamic bioinformatics team, advancing the state of art in genomic data analysis with multiple projects available to apply skill sets such as data science (data aggregation and data querying with database tools), metadata analyses, statistical modelling, and software automation. These techniques will be applied to building new clinical assays, matching patients to therapeutics, solving client-specific statistical problems and creation of new software tools. The applicant will also learn principles of software validation and testing, software versioning tools, software engineering and the art of transitioning from research to production environments.
The training period would initially extend across the applicant’s scholastic semester, which would involve at minimum ½ time commitment but could extend during the school year into a part-time commitment.
- Application of one or more of these skill sets: data aggregation, data querying, statistical modelling, machine learning, pipeline automation for NGS datasets.
- Development of robust, reliable and efficient software.
- Communication with multiple peers to gather requirements and provide status updates to stakeholders.
- Demonstration of the software and/or results of the project
- Documentation on the how-to of the software and/or analyses of the project
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Understanding/course work on one or more: database tools, computer programming, statistical modelling, or machine learning.
- Familiarity working in Linux/UNIX environment, including shell scripting and bash (preferred).
- Proficiency in a programming language: SQL, Python, Perl, R, or SAS.
- Experience giving presentations of analysis results to non-technical audiences.
- Exposure to data analysis using next-generation sequencing, multi-analytic instrumentation and other *omic data (preferred).
- Appropriate verbal and written communication skills to function within a professional work environment.
MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Enrollment in senior-level classes with research (preferred) and relevant coursework from fields such as data science, computer science or bioinformatics.
- Applicant must provide examples of both programming code and data analysis presentation(s).
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable law.
IQVIA, Inc. provides reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities. Applicants who require a reasonable accommodation to submit an application for employment or otherwise participate in the application process should contact IQVIA’s Talent Acquisition team at [email protected] to arrange for such accommodation.