Join the Exciting World of Scientific Research at SIU School of Medicine – Biological Science Research Jobs
SIU School of Medicine (SOM) has its chief administrative unit and main campus in Springfield, IL, but has facilities and programs at multiple sites throughout central and southern Illinois. The SOM Carbondale campus is home to the basic science departments of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Physiology and Anatomy for the School of Medicine. The Carbondale basic science departments offer a growing and interactive research environment with collaborative possibilities throughout the School of Medicine and with other departments on the SIU Carbondale campus. For further information on SIU School of Medicine and the Biochemistry and Molecular Biology department, visit www.siumed.edu and www.siumed.edu/biochem. Check the details below for Biological Science Research Jobs.
Position: Researcher I (Burgess Lab)
Deadline to Apply: 12/01/2023
Job Category: Administrative/Professional
Department: Biochemistry and Molecular Biology-SMC
College: School of Medicine-SMC
Months of Appointment: 12
The Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology within the SIU School of Medicine seeks applicants for a Researcher I position. This is a twelve-month, full-time (100% FTE), term appointment with an anticipated start date of January 2, 2024. Continuation of this appointment will be dependent on periodic reviews of performance and subject to availability of funds.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The individual will be responsible for scientific projects that include the study of chromatin regulators of protein translation in blood stem cells using mouse models. Work will be performed independently, under direction:
Duties to include:
- General laboratory maintenance
- Ordering supplies for the laboratory
- Maintaining compliance records
- Handling, tagging, and genotyping of mice
- Mouse colony organization and maintenance
- Dissection of mouse hematopoietic organs
- Flow cytometry sample preparation and analysis
- Perform various biochemical and molecular experiments such as western blotting, immunostaining, RNA isolation, and RTqPCR
- Participate in lab meetings, journal clubs, and trainings as required by Southern Illinois University Carbondale and the School of Medicine
- Aid in instructing new students in the use of research equipment and mouse handling techniques
Candidates must be sensitive to the needs of underrepresented populations. Demonstrate, by actions, commitment to the mission and behavioral standards of the School of Medicine. Provide excellent service to both internal and external customers through collaboration and partnerships, compassion and respect, integrity and accountability, diversity and inclusion, as well as continuous learning and improvement.
Minimum Qualifications: Biological Science Research Jobs
- This position requires a BA/BS degree in Biological Sciences, or a Bachelor’s degree in any field AND 4 years of relevant laboratory experience in a life science laboratory.
- Candidates must be comfortable handling mice and demonstrate excellent organizational skills.
- Preference will be given to candidates with previous relevant laboratory experience including prior experience in basic biology and biochemistry laboratory techniques, particularly PCR, and experience working with mice, including mouse genotyping and dissection.
- Prior experience in multi-color flow cytometry and independent use of flow cytometers is preferred.
Required Documents: Cover Letter, Resume/CV