BioMarin Summer Intern Position Available – Applications Invited
BioMarin Summer Intern Position Available – Applications Invited. BioMarin is a world leader in developing and commercializing innovative therapeutics for rare diseases driven by genetic causes. We remain steadfast to our original mission—to bring first-in-class or best-in-class treatments to market that will make a big impact on small patient populations, many of whom are children. Our product portfolio comprises six marketed products and multiple clinical and pre-clinical product candidates.
INTERN, BIOPHYSICAL CHARACTERIZATION
Location: NOVATO, CALIFORNIA
Summer Intern Position in Biophysical Characterization Group within Process Sciences
Biophysical Characterization (BPC) group is involved in biophysical and structural characterization of a variety of drug products, including peptide modulators of metabolic processes, proteins for enzyme replacement/substitution therapies, and viral vectors for gene therapy. We focus on understanding structure-function properties of novel biologics, with the goal to continually support production of safe and effective therapeutics.
The BioMarin Summer Internship Program will provide students with first-hand experience of working with biotech experts and gain invaluable insights into pharmaceutical industry. The 2021 internship will focus on biophysical characterization of AAV capsids for gene therapy applications using multiple techniques, such as Dynamic & Multi-Angle Light Scattering, Size-Exclusion & Anion Exchange Chromatography, Bio-Layer Interferometry, Mass Photometry, and negative-stain Electron Microscopy.
*THIS WILL BE A HYBRID ROLE, REQUIRING THE CANDIDATE TO BE ONSITE 2-3 days/week*
- Follow protocols to carry out well-established biophysical experiments under supervision
- Support development of novel biophysical characterization procedures or technologies
- Analyze collected data using relevant software
- Keep accurate and detailed laboratory records
- Regularly communicate experimental results and discuss project progress with your mentor and other group members. Provide written updates, if necessary.
- Engage in troubleshooting activities in the laboratory
- Other duties as assigned
- BS/MS degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Biophysics, or related field
- Hands-on experience with basic laboratory procedures. Applicants familiar with molecular biology and/or biophysical techniques will be preferred
- Prior experience in biotech/pharma industry is not required, but will be looked on favorably
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Must have excellent organizational skills and be detail-oriented
- Demonstrated experience in keeping accurate and detailed laboratory records.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced research environment comprised of multidisciplinary teams.
- Applicant must be returning to school in the Fall term or be on track to graduate within one year of the start of the internship
- Must be available to work a total of 40 hours a week, remotely and/or onsite
- Summer intern will be responsible for securing their housing and transportation
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- General understanding of scientific principles
- Ability to work under deadlines
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to accurately complete detailed tasks
BENEFITS OF A BIOMARIN INTERNSHIP:
- Apply skills and knowledge learned in classroom to modern drug discovery projects
- Work in a dynamic team of biotech experts
- Familiarize yourself with state-of-the-art technologies and procedures applicable to pharmaceutical industry and academia
- Networking opportunities for professional development
- Weekly lunch seminar series with the Executive Staff
- End of summer poster presentation to the BioMarin Community
- Connect with other like-minded interns from all corners of the country
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.