Coca Cola Nutrition Innovation Manager Vacancy – PhD Food Science
The ideal candidate is a product development scientist with demonstrated skills in developing and/or reformulating beverage products from ideation through commercialization. A variety of scientific backgrounds are acceptable including but not limited to Food Science, Food Technology.
Job Title: Manager Nutrition Innovation
Location: Atlanta, GA US
Job ID: R-54508
Time Type: Full time
ROLE LOCATION: The location of the positions and whether or not relocation benefits are provided will be discussed at the time of offer. In instances where relocation is provided, current mobility policies will apply. All policies are subject to amendment, revision, or discontinuance at the sole discretion of the Company.
The Nutrition Innovation Manager will manage science projects on the role of all beverages in diet, with a focus on hydration, and support benefits of our sports drinks in performance. This individual identifies emerging global issues and opportunities with regard to health impacts of our products, working cross-functionally and with external partners to mitigate risks and maximize opportunities. This role will help to position our categories for continuing success in an environment in which competitors are challenging our core benefit of hydration for beverages other than water, and detractor challenges to benefits of sports drinks.
- Manages hydration science research projects to grow, protect and sustain TCCC business.
- Provides hydration science knowledge to help impact business strategy and shape the business agenda.
- Works cross-functionally inside the company to drive our hydration and performance science strategy.
- Develops and shares appropriate proof points on hydration and performance science issues regarding our beverages and ingredients for TCCS, to help defend our products/ingredients and to develop new growth & claims opportunities.
- Acts as TCCS nutrition science subject matter expert on hydration and performance.
- Engages internally in team projects, cross-functional and company-wide initiatives.
- Collaborates with credible 3rd party researchers globally to develop and execute evidence-based hydration and performance science and systematic reviews on benefits and to defend our products and ingredients.
- Leverages established and builds new relationships with government, academics, professional and trade organizations to drive our hydration science agenda.
- Participates in or provides expertise to external organizations/committees/boards such as trade, scientific or industry groups (e.g. beverage association, International Life Sciences Institute) to drive company agenda.
- Support sports drinks innovation and manages projects for new nutrition claims for our beverages.
- Monitors emerging issues and alerts senior management to initiate changes in Company strategies to defend hydration and performance benefits of our products and ingredients.
- Ph.D. in nutrition, food science or related field and relevant work experience. (MSc or even Bachelor’s Degree acceptable with correct experience and in nutrition or dietetics)
- A good network of external scientific collaborators.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, especially dissemination of science to a non-technical audience.
Related Work Experience
- 1-5 years related experience in the food industry, in scientific and regulatory affairs role focusing on nutrition science(If Ph.D. less experience expected, if degree qualified, 3-5 years working experience required)
- Nutrition (positive/negative) health effects: Good understanding of nutrition science including complexities and controversies related to our hydration portfolio and how foods and nutrients impact maintenance of health and performance.
- Nutrition and Labelling knowledge: Secure knowledge base to support beverage nutrition innovation (e.g., claims substantiation, standards of identity, nutrient bioavailability, product matrix, relevant guidelines and policies regarding ingredients).
- Nutrition Data Collection: Knowledge of current nutrition science and trends and understanding of related opportunities and challenges as they apply to our sports & hydration beverages and ingredients. Ability to effectively leverage sources of nutrition information and transform them in ways that can be utilized for informing innovation or scientific advocacy.
- Advanced Nutrition: Ability to understand and interpret more advanced nutritional studies and communicate the information to a non-technical audience. Ability to use advanced nutritional information to influence department strategies. Ability to do nutritional problem solving (e.g., handle consumer questions or resolve issues around adding ingredients to product) based on an understanding of related disciplines of physiology and food science for the department or the field.
- Basic Regulatory Knowledge: General knowledge of the regulatory landscape that may affect the beverage or food industry.
Building Technical Relationships: Ability to apply technical knowledge and establish credibility with highly technical audiences in order to build technical relationships that will benefit customers or the Company.
- Epidemiology: Knowledge of the incidence, distribution, and control of the disease. The ability to read/interpret scientific publications on epidemiology affecting the soft drink industry and to understand how results from scientific studies might impact public health policy and regulations.
Coca Cola Nutrition Innovation