CompuNet Clinical Laboratories Molecular Biology Scientist Vacancy
The mission of CompuNet Clinical Laboratories is to provide quality diagnostic laboratory services to improve health outcomes within the communities we serve.
Having served healthcare providers throughout Southwest Ohio since 1986, we understand the importance of caring for patients. Our team understands that every test we perform is connected to a real person and we treat each one accordingly. Our experienced laboratory scientists and technicians use state-of-the-art technologies to deliver the timely and accurate results that your healthcare providers rely on to keep you healthy. And they do it with the care and attention to detail that comes with a patient-first approach to laboratory medicine.
Job Title: Molecular Biology Scientist – Full Time Day Shift Position
Location: 2308 Sandridge Dr #2308, Moraine, OH 45439, USA Req #793
Bachelor’s degree in medical laboratory science with ASCP certification OR Master’s degree in molecular biology At least 3 years of experience in molecular biology testing or research
Knowledge of Microsoft Excel preferred.
Medical terminology and keyboarding skills helpful.
Physical demands and work environment:
- Hand-finger dexterity to collect, process and test specimens.
- Ability to work in an environment where standing prolonged amounts of time may be required.
- Comprehension of verbal and written directions.
- Concentrate on a task over a period of time without being distracted.
- Ability to work within specified deadlines and timetables.
- Excellent communication and people skills.
- Ability to lift and transport laboratory supplies/reagents.
- Must be able to work well under pressure or in stressful circumstances.
Safety demands and requirements:
Will have exposure to biohazard substances and hazardous chemicals.
Be familiar with and adhere to safety, ergonomic and health policies of the Company.
Comply with all PPE requirements when in the laboratory or other biohazard areas. Complete required safety training and health evaluations in a timely manner.
Anticipate safety hazards, act upon unsafe situations and promote safety awareness.
The employee performs standardized clinical laboratory testing in Molecular Diagnostics department of the laboratory. They follow clearly defined, established and approved protocols with minimal technical supervision. The scientist performs designated technical procedures, instrument maintenance and troubleshooting, and quality control procedures. They recognize and resolve procedural and/or instrumental problems. They work independently, accurately records all data as necessary and reports results within the Laboratory Information System (LIS) in a timely manner to aid in diagnosis and treatment of disease.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Performs and records daily and/or routine maintenance, calibrations and quality control on all equipment o reagents used for testing.
- Prepares samples for pre, post, and analytical processes by accurately evaluating specimen suitability and labeling requirements.
- Performs all tests in an accurate and efficient manner following established policies and procedures using patient history when reviewing results, if applicable.
Recognizes and questions and troubleshoots unexpected lab values and consults with pathologists and/or caregiver/provider as appropriate.
- Recognizes factors that may negatively impact test results and takes appropriate action according to predetermined protocols. May include but not limited to; patient look-back, repeat testing.
- Recognizes problems/error codes with instruments and test systems, reagents, test results and/or supplies and initiates and documents problem solving procedures.
- Troubleshoots instrument and analyzer issues, calling technical support hotlines as needed.
- Reports results in accordance with turnaround time expectations and prioritizes workload accordingly.
- Records all results in an accurate, complete and readable format, utilizes computer systems correctly to generate results and notifies caregiver/provider appropriately of critical value results as expected.
- Stores/transports samples efficiently using appropriate preservation techniques.
- Reviews pending logs and follows-up to ensure testing is completed in a timely manner.
- Ensures a smooth hand-off between shifts and is proactive in instrument preparations needed for continued operations, escalating issues as necessary.
- Addresses customer related questions and problems, such as corrected reports, in a courteous and timely manner, following department policies and procedures.
- Maintains competency, continuing education and participates in proficiency testing in assigned departments.
- Supports employees in Technical Assistant roles.
- Participates in training of new employees and students in appropriate technical areas. Assists, as needed, with other duties such as specimen processing, or other departmental projects.
- Works as part of a team within home department to ensure work is completed efficiently, goals are met, and projects are completed in a timely manner.
- Works as a part of a team within the company floating to other sites as requested and staffing needs dictate.
- Complies with all safety, compliance and human resources policies of CompuNet Clinical Laboratories.
CompuNet Clinical Laboratories Molecular