Food Science Intern at Reily Foods – Applications Invited
Food Science Intern at Reily Foods – Applications Invited. Reily Foods is a 5th-generation, family-owned company that provides the wholesome and authentic foods and beverages that create meals and memories that bring together family and friends.
Food Science Intern
Job Summary: The Food Science Intern supports the New Product Development (NPD) team by assisting in preparation of NPD benchtop samples, conducting routine analytical and sensory testing, coordinating lab and kitchen equipment maintenance, performing routine clean up, and maintaining stocked inventory. This position will be relied upon to collect data from experiments and occasionally attend plant trials.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions if it does not create an undue hardship for the department/company.
- Assists New Product Development in the execution of benchtop runs/experiments to commercial production.
- Performs and becomes proficient in established testing and operation procedures.
- Accurately weighs out the ingredients and blends as instructed.
- Prepares product samples for presentations and sensory testing.
- Collects and documents routine experiment data using spreadsheets for review and interpretation. Maintains precise records.
- Provides accurate and timely summaries of experiments performed including data compilation, machine settings, process parameters, recipe contents, etc.
- Communicates results and/or observations, making special note of unexpected results/observations to manager and team.
- Safely set-ups and operates process equipment. Performs routine maintenance on and configures/dismantles the equipment.
- Coordinates routine lab and equipment maintenance with vendors.
- Anticipates the needs of current and planned tasks and proactively keeps required ingredients stocked.
- Completes and maintains ingredient and finished product specifications.
- Packages and mails samples to plants, vendors, etc.
- Provides support for plant trials and startups as needed.
- Maintains a clean and organized lab for ongoing research.
- Follows all safety procedures and participates in safety training. Maintains safe and efficient use of equipment, tools, and person. Reports any injury or accident immediately to supervisory and/or any unsafe condition.
- Supports and complies with GMP’s. Understands and follows emergency action plan.
- Supports food safety, quality and legality.
- Ensures the operation is providing food-safe, quality products that meet or exceed all product specifications and regulatory requirements.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience: The minimum requirements below are representative of the education and experience required to perform this job successfully.
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Food Science, Animal Science, Meat Science, Microbiology, Chemistry or related technical science degree
- Prior experience in the food and beverage industry helpful
Qualifications: The qualifications listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, abilities and attributes required to perform this job successfully.
- Proactive, self-starter who works well with minimal supervision
- Positive attitude and a team player
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Proficiency with MS Office programs must be able to create and manipulate data in Excel
- Strong organizational skills with excellent attention to detail
- Flexible with a strong sense of urgency, ability to multi-task and manage priorities. Excellent follow-up
- Ability to lift and move up to 50 pounds