GSK Virology Scientific Director Vacancy 2021 – Apply Online
GSK is seeking a highly motivated Scientific Director to work on new treatments to address the threat of infectious diseases by joining our growing Medicine Opportunities Research Unit (RU) focused on Infectious Diseases at Upper Providence, PA. The Medicine Opportunities Research Unit is one of the 4 Research Units in the R&D organization at GSK and is responsible for the discovery of novel approaches & targets to treat infectious diseases that threaten our health and progressing them to clinical proof of concept studies.
Job Title: Scientific Director, Virology and Hepatitis B Virus (HBV) Biology
Location: Collegeville, Pennsylvania, United States
Req Id: 286124
They are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Ph.D. in Infectious Diseases
- Experience managing a team of full-time scientists, including PhD level scientists, supporting multiple projects
- Experience in HBV research how HBV escapes the host immune response
- Experience in identifying and advancing preclinical targets, performing peer review and engaging internal and external partners.
- Experience applying novel techniques and approaches in drug discovery
Having the following characteristics would be advantageous to the role:
- Demonstrated understanding of the drug discovery process, including the ability to outline a progression path with clear decision-making criteria.
- Ph.D. in Virology or related discipline
- Ability to foster a culture of innovation, teamwork, performance and trust.
- Capable of leading and developing a team of biologists with a breadth in skills (such as molecular/cell biology, biochemistry, gene editing, cell culture, iPSC differentiation, in vivo model systems, and in vitro/ex vivo translational studies).
- Experience in making decisions around the progression of novel targets and molecules by integrating biology with clinical need and feasibility, competition, commercial opportunity, and return on investment.
- Existing network of academic collaborators and CROs.
- Strong self-motivation; capable of multi-tasking but with attention to detail, working on multiple projects in different phases of research, and delivering on objectives on time/on budget.
In this Scientific Director role you will assume immediate responsibility for an existing and growing biology team in and work in a multidisciplinary, collaborative and scientifically driven environment, interacting with scientists across the Research Unit and the broader R&D organization. Your demonstrated expertise in virology coupled with an understanding of host targets and immune response will enable you and the team to innovative approaches to identify and validate a strategy for a functional cure of HBV and delivery of novel therapeutics for unmet virus-mediated infectious diseases.
As a leader, you will be expected to interact productively and in an enterprise fashion with teams across the Research Unit as well as with partners in Human Genetics, Functional Genomics, and Molecular Design teams at GSK. The role will also involve establishing external collaborations and representing the organization externally in this field. To this end you will need to be a strong communicator and able to work and drive positive collaborative interactions with your peers and encourage similar behaviors in your team.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career, these responsibilities include the following…
- Lead and manage a team working on target identification and validation efforts in the virology and HBV biology space
- Actively contribute to the strategic direction and goals of the group
- Participate in the evaluation of novel targets emerging from potential collaborations
- Build and foster relationships across groups in the research unit, contributing to projects and peer review when required.
- Build a network of academic key opinion leaders in the HBV and infectious disease space
- Responsible for ensuring quality, consistency and best practice within reporting line
- Accountable for scientific development and mentoring of scientists within reporting line
Fostering a culture of scientific rigor and continuous improvement in line with the
- Innovation Performance and Trust (IPT) strategy at GSK
Ensure compliance with GSK values and policies.
GSK Virology Scientific Director