Hershey Food Science & Microbiology Job Opening 2022 – Specialist QA
This position is responsible for supporting the Quality Assurance and Sanitation programs that meet food safety and sanitation standards throughout the Hershey Technical Center Community. The position develops, implements, maintains, and enforces programs in the areas of Food Safety, Sanitation, Pest Control, Product Excellence (PEP) and GMP’s in laboratory, kitchen, sensory and Pilot Plant areas. Position must keep current in food safety regulations, policies and issues, and provide support to project activities in the Pilot Plant. The Technical Center EMMP (Environmental Microbiological Monitoring Program) will be maintained and performed by this position.
Job Title: Specialist QA & Operations
Job Location: Hershey, PA
- B.S. in Food Science, Microbiology, or related field or equivalent related experience
Minimum of ¬3+ yrs. of related experience (including internships)
- Ability to effectively plan and execute multiple priorities while being flexible and adaptive to change.
- Ability to effectively work with Product Development and Engineering to understand new product innovation, ingredients, and processes.
- Superior communication skills in verbal and written forms.
- In-depth understanding of a production/manufacturing environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge and implementation of Sanitation Principles to food processing equipment and environments, including Pest Control Principles.
- Advanced problem solving/troubleshooting skills.
- Detailed knowledge of regulatory and quality system requirements – PEP, HACCP, Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP), GFSI/SQF Standards, Food Safety Modernization Act and Preventive Controls, etc.
- Proficiency in computer programs/software such as Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, SAP, Database Systems, etc.
- Ability to repeatedly bend, stoop, and stretch, and spend a major portion of the work shift standing and walking.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
QA Support – 30-40%
- Work with Engineering, Product Development, Food Science, Facilities and Pilot Plant Operations personnel to ensure that all projects and activities are performed in a manner that meet and support all Federal standards for Good Manufacturing Practices, HACCP and Food Safety Modernization Act.
- Review established policies and procedures specific to the Pilot Plant are appropriate and aligned with relevant corporate PEP standards. Provide support during Pilot Plant product runs for consumer testing and sales samples. Review the necessary documentation and records related to quality assurance and sanitation policies, programs and procedures, including Food Safety Plans and preventive process controls for established pilot scale production lines.
- Provide support during the creation of Food Safety Plans and HACCP for all TC products.
Cleaning Support – 30-40%
- Develop and maintain cleaning procedures for Pilot Plant processing equipment to ensure sanitary conditions and prevent infestation issues. Provide technical support to ensure that janitorial contractors are adhering to the cleaning specifications and cleaning frequencies are appropriate for the production areas.
- Train equipment users in proper cleaning procedures, cleaning solutions and storage practices.
- Work with users, technical staff and equipment suppliers to verify new and existing equipment meets relevant sanitary design standards to facilitate cleaning efforts. As required, ensure that all process equipment shipped from the Tech Center meets sanitation, allergen and kosherization standards and maintain records.
- Ensure that maintenance chemicals and cleaning solutions used in the building are appropriate for particular application and are properly handled. Creation and annual review of the Master Sanitation Schedule for the Tech Center.
Training – 10-15%
Support training programs and informational materials as required to convey the above policies and procedures to Technical Center residents. Review additional training programs that arise as food laws change and new issues surface in the food industry. Conduct new employee orientation sessions on GMPs, Pest Control, Allergens, and all other policies and procedures that apply to work conducted in the Pilot Plant when needed.
Auditing – 10-15%
Conduct periodic audits of the Pilot Plant, Restroom and Laboratory areas to ensure that cleaning and pest control procedures and specifications are being followed and met. Conduct periodic Pilot Plant walk-through of all areas with Pilot Plant members using established checklists for evaluations. Report on the results, corrective actions and effectiveness of these activities.
Hershey Food Science & Microbiology