Job Openings at the Allen Institute – Stem Cells and Gene Editing – PhD Cell Biology/Molecular Biology Candidates Apply
We seek a motivated, knowledgeable, and team-oriented scientist with excellent technical skills to join the Stem Cells and Gene Editing research team in the Allen Institute for Cell Science. The scientist will focus on genome engineering using CRISPR/Cas9 and related tools in human induced pluripotent stem cells (hiPSCs) for various internal and collaborative scientific projects.
Projects will include fluorescent protein fusion tagging at endogenous loci and genetic perturbations using CRISPRi and related technologies , introducing disease mutations, and performing quality control and experimental assays. The successful candidate will apply established gene editing and quality control protocols to optimize and develop new methods and workflows, to collaboratively explore cell states and generate research publications.
Job Title: Scientist I – Stem Cells and Gene Editing
Department: StemCell Gene Editing
Location: Seattle, WA Hybrid
Required Education and Experience
- PhD in molecular, cell biology, or a related biological life science or equivalent combination of degree and experience
Preferred Education and Experience
- Experience in molecular biology
- Experience with Cas9/CRISPR and/or related genome editing methods
- Experience with mammalian cell culture with a preference for stem cells
- Experience with virus packaging and delivery
- Ability to follow instructions and protocols precisely and reliably
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate within a team-based environment
- Strong organizational skills and careful attention to detail
May enter laboratory environment, including potential exposure to lasers, biohazards
- Occasional lifting to 30 pounds
- Fine motor movements in fingers/hands to operate computers and other office equipment; lab equipment
- Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This role is currently working onsite and is expected to work onsite for the majority of working hours. The primary work location for this role is 615 Westlake Ave N., with flexibility to work remotely on a limited basis.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
In keeping with our focus on employee safety, all employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment unless a medical or religious exemption is approved. All employees will be required to keep their vaccination status up to date according to CDC guidance and our policy.
**Please note, this opportunity offers relocation assistance and work visa sponsorship**
Annualized Salary Range
$75,003 – $105,004*
* Final salary depends on required education for the role, experience, and level of skills relevant to the role, along with work location, where applicable.
Employees (and their families) are eligible to enroll in benefits per eligibility rules outlined in the Allen Institute’s Benefits Guide. These benefits include medical, dental, vision, and basic life insurance. Employees are also eligible to enroll in the Allen Institute’s 401k plan. Paid time off is also available as outlined in the Allen Institute’s Benefits Guide. Details on the Allen Institute’s benefits offering are located at the following link to the Benefits Guide: https://alleninstitute.org/careers/benefits.
- Generate and maintain multiple gene-edited human iPSC lines
- Routinely perform molecular biology experiments, including PCR and PCR-based assays, including ddPCR, molecular cloning and sequencing based assessment of genome editing outcomes
- Help develop and optimize methods for gene editing and stem cell quality control, with experiments and collaboratively through project meetings and at conferences and for publications
- Help plan and execute experiments focused on perturbation with CRISPR/Cas9 and related technologies
- Help plan and execute experiments focused on image-based quantitative assays of cell behavior
- Help the team remain current on cutting edge literature and help manage external collaborations
- Adhere to SOPs and workflows with meticulous documentation
- Properly handle hazardous chemicals
- Assist cross-functional activities including hand-offs to various teams, compiling data, and presenting
Note: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
Job Openings, Job Openings 2023