Kemin Microbiology Internship Recruitment – Online Applications Invited
Kemin Microbiology Internship Recruitment – Online Applications Invited. We are visionaries who see things differently and are inspired by the world around us. We have been dedicated to using applied science to improve the quality of life for over half a century. We are a global ingredient manufacturer that strives to sustainably transform the quality of life every day for 80 per cent of the world with its products and services.
Job ID: 2022-7914
Location: US-IA-Des Moines
Position Type: Intern
The R&D intern will work in a microbiology laboratory conducting challenge studies and enumeration of microorganisms from pet food, with the goal of improving pet food quality and ingredient stability. The experiments will include inoculation of microorganisms in pet food and ingredients and screening assays to evaluate growth inhibition characteristics of formulations. New product formulation and applications will result as an outcome of these studies. There will be additional learning opportunities as required for the project.
We Are Kemin
We are visionaries who see things differently and are inspired by the world around us.
We have been dedicated to using applied science to improve the quality of life for over half a century.
We are a global ingredient manufacturer that strives to sustainably transform the quality of life every day for 80 percent of the world with its products and services.
For over half a century, Kemin has been dedicated to using applied science to address industry challenges and offer product solutions to customers in more than 120 countries. Kemin provides ingredients to feed a growing population with its commitment to the quality, safety and efficacy of food, feed and health-related products to customers in more than 120 countries.
Established in 1961, Kemin is a privately held, family-owned-and-operated company with more than 2,800 global employees and operations in 90 countries, including manufacturing facilities in Belgium, Brazil, China, India, Italy, Russia, San Marino, Singapore, South Africa and the United States.
- Preparing media and buffers using an autoclave
- Inoculation of pet food and ingredients with Biosafety Level 2 (BSL2) organisms such as Salmonella and Escherichia coli. Additionally, food spoilage organisms such as molds and yeasts.
- Growing cultures of BSL2 organisms for use in experiments
- Standard plating methods using aseptic technique
- Prepare a Powerpoint presentation at the end of the intern period of the work completed.
- Currently enrolled as a freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior with an accredited college or university, pursuing a degree in a field relevant to your internship
- Ability to commit to 10-12 weeks of full-time employment during the months of May-August.
- The intern in this position shall be detail-oriented, reliable, self-motivated, and able to multi-task. While the intern will be supervised, the ability to work independently will be necessary.
- Course work in biology/microbiology at the college level is strongly preferred.
- Experience working in a microbiology laboratory setting using an aseptic technique is preferred.
- Experience handling BSL2 microorganisms is preferred.
- Ability to interact in a professional manner with wide variety of individuals at all levels within the company (Quality, R&D, Customer Service, Marketing, Finance, Operations).