Microbiology Freshers Job Opening 2021 @ University of Pennsylvania
Microbiology Freshers Job Opening The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Job Title Technician, Research Laboratory C
Job Description Summary
This position is located in Kennett Square, PA where there is no public transportation of any kind available. Individuals must have their own transportation to and from work. The Microbiology Laboratory at the New Bolton Center (Kennett Square, PA) requires a full-time laboratory technician with skills in microbiology and serology to work in a diagnostic setting. This position provides the PADLS (Pennsylvania Animal Diagnostic Laboratory System) – New Bolton Center Microbiology Laboratory with technical service in the Pennsylvania Egg Quality Assurance Plan laboratory as well as in the Clinical Microbiology and Serology Sections. Food and environmental microbiological testing and serological assays are performed. Assistance with daily laboratory operations including maintenance of departmental quality assurance plans, inventory control, media and reagent preparation, and data entry is expected in order to provide accurate test results to the clients and maintain AAVLD accreditation.
Responsibilities will include:
- Perform routine culture isolations for Salmonella species in egg and environmental samples, including but not limited to: set up, identification, antibiotic susceptibility testing, serological testing
- Data entry results reporting, and client communications
Maintain quality assurance/quality control programs in compliance with accreditation requirements
- Perform diagnostic serological testing including agar gel immunoassay, plate agglutination assay, and ELISA testing. Assist with research projects and test validation.
- A Bachelor’s degree in microbiology or a related discipline and 0-1 year of postgraduate/post-certification experience or equivalent combination of education and experience is required. Experience with high throughput testing is desired.
- The candidate should be well organized and able to handle multiple, varied, on-going tasks.
- Clinical diagnostic laboratory experience is preferred with experience in food and environmental culture techniques, serological assays, and familiarity with quality control/quality assurance programs.
- Good interpersonal skills are necessary to effectively communicate with clients, staff, faculty, and clients, both orally and in written format. This is an early morning shift with occasional weekend coverage. Hours are 6 am-3 pm Monday thru Friday with occasional weekend coverage.
This position is contingent upon funding.
The position is located in Kennett Square, PA where there is no public transportation of any kind available. Individuals must have their own transportation to and from work.
Office, library, computer room; Requires extensive safety training; Requires protective devices
Typically sitting at a desk or table; Occasional lifting 25 lb.
Job Location – Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
Department / School School of Veterinary Medicine
Pay Range $16.23 – $29.22
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.