PCR & Molecular Biology Summer Intern 2023 – Roche
The Summer at Roche Intern Program has been developed to provide students with a fun yet rewarding summer through hands-on experience. Interns enjoy opportunities to network with other interns as well as employees throughout our organization. Additionally, we help our students meet their career development and educational goals while potentially building a future with the Roche organization.
Job Title: Intern
Location Pleasanton, California, United States of America Category Vocational & Development Programs
Job Id 202211-141221
Roche is a global pioneer in pharmaceuticals and diagnostics focused on advancing science to improve
people’s lives. The combined strengths of pharmaceuticals and diagnostics under one roof have made Roche the leader in personalized healthcare – a strategy that aims to fit the right treatment to each patient in the best way possible. Roche is the world’s largest biotech company, with truly differentiated medicines in oncology, immunology, infectious diseases, ophthalmology and diseases of the central nervous system. Roche is also the world leader in in vitro diagnostics and tissue-based cancer diagnostics, and a frontrunner in diabetes management.
At Roche, we believe the best solutions come by gaining different perspectives, asking and answering hard questions and challenging the status quo to develop small ideas and achieve big wins in innovation. Our success in creating a truly diverse and inclusive workplace will directly impact our ability to deliver on our purpose of “Doing Now What Patients Need Next.”
Facts & Figures:
Headquartered in Basel, Switzerland with 100,000 employees worldwide.
10 Diagnostics locations throughout the US.
#1 market leader for in-vitro diagnostics.
In 2021, launched 22 tests and solutions for COVID-19.
This internship position is located in Pleasanton on site
- Performs digital PCR, qPCR and qRT-PCR experiments using sophisticated diagnostic instruments (e.g. Roche cobas 4800, 6800 and 8800).
- Performs experiments with infectious microorganisms and clinical specimens using aseptic technique and universal safety precautions.
- Performs DNA and RNA purification with commercial kits.
- Analyzes experimental qPCR and sequence data using sophisticated software.
- Records data in electronic notebooks and reports findings to supervisor and in department presentations.
- Performs work according to internal safety guidelines and procedures.
Who You Are
- Targeting undergraduates who have completed at least one year of undergraduate coursework at a university, or current graduate students (MS or PhD) majoring in
- Molecular Biology or equivalent field with emphasis in Virology and/or Microbiology.
- Must be currently enrolled in an accredited college/university during the program calendar year 2023.
- Hands on experience with PCR, qPCR, RT-PCR, qRT-PCR and molecular biology techniques is highly desired.
- Experience handling microbial DNA, RNA, and clinical specimens desired.
- Experience with next-generation sequencing (NGS) may be helpful, but is not required.
- Desire GPA 3.0 or higher.
- Previous work experience preferred.
- Student organization and/or study abroad experiences are a plus.
- Excellent communication, collaboration, and interpersonal skills.
- Complements our culture and the standards that guide our daily behavior & decisions: Integrity, Courage, and Passion.
- Intensive full-time (40 hours per week), 12-week paid internship.
- Program start dates are in May and June 2023.
- Ownership of challenging and impactful business-critical projects.
- Work with some of the most talented people in the biotechnology industry.
- Final presentations of project work to senior leaders.
- Lead or participate in intern committees to design and coordinate program events and initiatives.
- Professional & personal development curriculum throughout the program, including networking opportunities, workshops, and panel discussions.
- Participate in volunteer projects, social events, and team-building activities.
- Paired with a 1:1 mentor through the Roche Young Professionals Business Resource Group.
- Access to on-site fitness and wellness center (subject to change).
PCR & Molecular Biology