Postdoctoral Research Fellow Bioinformatics Job Vacancy
This position’s primary focus in the lab will be to lead and to participate in projects based on candidate’s desire concentrated on investigating genetics of breast oncology, cancer evolutionary, and development of novel therapeutics. Using the wide network of connections and collaborations of the principal investigator, and extensive biomedical resources at the institution, candidates will be able to build on the existing research of the lab to quickly start up their own research projects.
Job Title Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Bioinformatics
Department Aparicio Laboratory | Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine |
Faculty of Medicine (Samuel Aparicio)
Posting End Date May 22, 2023
The candidate would work within a dynamic and vibrant lab with a proven track record of outstanding achievements and contributions in breast oncology research. This position allows the candidate to contribute bold and innovative research that can be translated to new understanding in the evolutionary processes that drive cancers.
The position will provide a unique opportunity for mentoring trainees, supervising analysts and interacting with industry. This is an excellent platform to receive outstanding training to gain the important skills for a successful medical research career in academia or industry.
This funded position with the University of British Columbia, at the BC Cancer Research Centre allows the candidate to flourish under the guidance of an experienced mentor.
The Postdoctoral Fellow will play a leadership role in the Aparicio lab, and will be reporting directly to Dr. Samuel Aparicio who is the primary investigator of the laboratory. More information on the lab, please visit https://aparicio.molonc.ca
The Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at UBC is a hybrid, academically intensive Department within the UBC Faculty of Medicine whose activities span a broad spectrum of teaching, research, and academic service, often performed in the milieu of clinical practice, and are ultimately devoted to improving the care, treatment, and well-being of patients. The Department offers academic degrees at the bachelor’s (Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (BMLSc)) and graduate (MSc, PhD) levels with the graduate program, one of the largest in the Faculty of Medicine, which has been recognized by UBC for its quality. The Department plays a major role in the MD undergraduate program and offers an accredited residency-training program. Faculty members participate across a spectrum of research from basic investigative to translational to clinical applied research and are recognized locally, nationally and internationally for their excellence.
- Management and supervision of trainees;
- May be involved in recruitment and training of trainees;
Performing regular reviews of the relevant literature;
- Planning and designing of experiments;
- Analyzing, interpreting and compiling data in study reports, presenting results, and participating in the preparation of scientific manuscripts and grant application packages;
- Updating Dr. Aparicio and the group on the status of projects during lab meetings, in email correspondence and phone conferences;
- Managing projects with key academic and industry partners.
- PhD degree in the computer science, bioinformatics or equivalent
- At least 4 years experience in bioinformatics research
- Experience in genomics and next-generation sequencing
- Extensive knowledge of cellular and molecular biology, biochemistry and genetics
- Experience with cancer research a plus
- Proven ability to multi-task in a deadline oriented environment with minimal supervision
- Effective oral and written communication, analytical, and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skill and ability to learn new skills quickly
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment.
- Accuracy and attention to detail required
- Candidates should demonstrate the ability to work in a highly interdisciplinary environment.
Works independently under direction of PI, Dr. Samuel Aparicio
Opportunities to work collaboratively with Industry partners and other researchers at UBC and globally
Assists and oversees research assistants and students as required
Assists and provides guidelines to other research members, as required
How to Apply:
Exceptional candidates should submit a cover letter outlining your research interests and fit with the laboratory’s research, curriculum vitae, and the names of three referees willing to provide letters of reference.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow Bioinformatics