Research Scientist Jobs in Florida – Apply Below
Research Scientist Jobs in Florida, The Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences is creating an environment that affirms community across all dimensions. We particularly welcome applicants who can contribute to such an environment through their scholarship, teaching, mentoring, and professional service. If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call 352-392-2477 or the Florida Relay System at 800-955-8771 (TDD) or visit Accessibility at UF.
Job Role: Assistant Research Scientist
Job No: 529020
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
This is a 12-month non-tenure-accruing position that will be 70% research, 30% teaching available in the Microbiology and Cell Science Department, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, at the University of Florida. This assignment may change in accordance with the needs of the project. Duties will include:
- Coordinate online research experiences for students from Indian River State College. These may be course-based or more individualized instruction.
- Develop and manage course-based research experiences for the microbiome course.
- Conduct microbiome research using saliva or stool samples to assess the role of genetics and the microbiome on autoimmune diseases and neurodevelopmental conditions.
- Participate in grant writing as a PI or co-PI on grant proposals as needed, often serving as lead PI.
Because of the IFAS land-grant mission, all faculty are expected to be supportive of and engaged in all three mission areas—Research, Teaching and Extension—regardless of the assignment split specified in the position description.
- A doctorate (foreign equivalent acceptable) in the life sciences, Science Education, Data Science, a quantitative social science, or other closely related disciplines is required.
- Candidates should have demonstrated skills in verbal and written communication and publication/dissemination of their scholarly work in their field.
- The candidate should have demonstrated experience in a research setting with analysis, visualization, and interpretation of large datasets, preferably of sensitive data types such as student information or patient data.
- Candidates must be supportive of the mission of the Land-Grant system. Candidates must also have a commitment to UF core values of excellence, discovery & innovation, inclusion, freedom & civility, community, and stewardship.
Preference given to candidates with experience in science education research (program reviews, learning assessment, retention studies) and programming skills with data science tools (e.g. SAS, R, SPSS, or Python). Experience with SQL is a plus.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- For full consideration, candidates should apply and submit materials by November 21, 2023. The position will remain open until a viable applicant pool is determined.
- This position is available January 1, 2024, and will be filled as soon thereafter as an acceptable applicant is available.