Sandia National Laboratories Intern – Biosciences R&D Undergrad Year-Round
Sandia National Laboratories Intern – Biosciences R&D Undergrad Year-Round. Biotechnology and Bioengineering Department, located in Livermore, and Emeryville, CA, performs both basic and applied biological and bioengineering research with broad applications in national security. We address problems such as biodefense and health security, developing advanced technology including micro- and nanofluidics and engineered automated systems, and new research approaches which include gene-editing and novel nanomaterials.
We are seeking an Intern – Biosciences R&D Undergrad Year-Round
Job ID: 676311
Location: Livermore, CA
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
What Your Job Will Be Like
As a Biosciences Intern at Sandia, you are a highly motivated undergraduate student interested in a career in biosciences, chemistry, biochemistry, and/or biophysics and excited to join a diverse team of scientists to learn and conduct experiments. In this position, you will learn laboratory skills and obtain hands-on experience performing cutting-edge scientific research. You will work under the mentorship of a Sandia technical staff member who will help guide your success in completing a funded research project. Your project will use chemical and biophysical methods to explore membrane fusion and organization.
On any given day you will be called on to support Sandia Biosciences by performing laboratory work including:
- Simple chemical reactions (ex: click chemistry & surface functionalization)
- Liposome preparation and purification
- Biochemical assays
This position requires onsite work during the school year (up to 25 hours a week) and up to 40 hours of onsite work during the summer.
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
Qualifications We Require
You bring the confidence and skills to be eligible for the job by meeting these minimum requirements:
- Currently attending and enrolled full time in an accredited undergraduate program
- Pursuing a science, engineering, or math major
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0/4.0
- Ability to work up to 25 hours per week during the academic year, and up to 40 hours per week during the summer
- U.S. citizenship
- Ability to work onsite at Sandia in Livermore, CA during the academic year (not just during academic breaks)
Qualifications We Desire
- Completion of general chemistry and freshman level science curriculum
- Some prior chemistry laboratory experience (can be a laboratory course)
- Some prior completion of biological science courses
- Ability to maintain detailed research records in a notebook and on a computer, as evidenced by successful laboratory course work or research
- Demonstrated proficiency in basic laboratory equipment (balances, pH meter, pipettes, etc. )
- Some experience with data analysis and presentation tools (e.g., Excel & Powerpoint)
- Ability to follow protocols and a willingness to ask questions whenever necessary
- Excitement to learn new techniques, solve problems and analyze new scientific results