Vallance lab Hiring Microbiology Candidates – Apply Online
The Vallance lab is a world leading research group that studies inflammatory bowel disease as well as infectious causes of intestinal inflammation. In particular, the Vallance lab focuses on bacteria – host interactions at the intestinal mucosal interface. We are looking for a motivated and talented individual to join our team as a cell culture technician. The successful candidate will work on cutting-edge projects using cell culture models to develop novel therapies for Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Specifically, the successful candidate should possess significant cell culture expertise as well as techniques useful in assessing mammalian cell function.
Job Title: Cell Culture Technician (Vallance Lab)
Location: UBC Off-Campus Hospital Sites
Job Category Non Union Technicians and Research Assistants
Job Profile Non Union Salaried – Research Assistant /Technician 3
Department Vallance Laboratory | Department of Paediatrics | Faculty of Medicine
$3,982.67 – $4,703.83 CAD Monthly
Completion of a relevant technical program or a university degree in a relevant discipline and a minimum three years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
*Prior experience working in a laboratory environment is mandatory
- Graduate degree in a relevant discipline such as a microbiology, immunology and biochemistry would be an asset.
- Expertise in general cell culture using cell lines or primary human cells.
- Ability to exercise sound judgement, responsibility, and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work both independently and within a collaborative team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to meet short- and long-term pr
This position is located within a health-care facility, therefore, the successful candidate will be required to provide verification of full vaccination against Covid-19 provided prior to the start date, as required by a provincial health mandate.
This offer is conditional upon successful completion of a Criminal Record Check.
The cell culture technician will report directly to Dr. Bruce Vallance and will liaise with other members of Dr. Vallance’s research group, including co-investigators, researchers, research assistants, post-doctoral fellows, students and staff.
- Culture epithelial cell lines, as well as process intestinal biopsies for organoid isolation derived from patient samples and maintain collection records
- Oversee the daily operation of the lab’s cell culture work, as well as maintain organoid cultures including culturing and passaging of intestinal organoid cultures. Also prepare organoid media and perform routine testing to identify possible contamination.
- Perform routine standardized assays to evaluate organoid quality and function
- Assist in the development of protocols for organoid culture and experiment
- Maintain inventory of frozen organoid stocks
- Plan and perform experiments; troubleshoot problems; collect, record, analyze and interpret experimental results
- Maintain a detailed lab notebook
- Provide training to undergraduate students, as well as new and lower level technicians in the use of equipment, techniques and procedures.
- Set up, test, operate and maintain common laboratory equipment and laboratory reagents.
CONSEQUENCE OF ERROR
- The successful applicant will exercise a considerable amount of judgment, responsibility, and initiative in determining work procedures and methods, and coordinating the work of the unit.
- Dr. Vallance’s laboratory is situated within the Childhood and Disease Theme of the BC Children’s Hospital Research Institute. Errors made could compromise the results of research projects, and therefore impact the credibility of the Unit, Centre, Institute and individual Investigator(s).
The successful applicant will work under minimal supervision, receiving specific instructions only on unusual problems or on matters which depart significantly from established policy and procedure.
May oversee and direct the work of one or two employees at lower classifications in which case the successful applicant is responsible for the accuracy, production, and control of the work unit.
Posting End Date January 16, 2023
Vallance lab Hiring Microbiology