Blue Buffalo’s Pet Nutrition Hiring Food Science Candidates – Apply Now
Their highly technical and innovative Pet Nutrition team is growing to include scientists focused on our international expansion. Our Blue Buffalo’s Pet Nutrition Technology team is responsible for bringing new product innovation to market across our premium wellness and therapeutic product portfolios that help transform the lives of pets.
Job Title: SR R&D SCIENTIST, PET NUTRITION, INTERNATIONAL
Location: GOLDEN VALLEY, MINNESOTA
Department: Research & Development
Req ID: 15851
- Ph.D. in Animal Science, Engineering, Food Science or related field
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in formula design, stability studies, palatability studies, and the establishment of ingredient and finished product specifications
- Understanding of Concept-5 and Multi-Step formulation software
- Working knowledge of manufacturing processes and operations
- Hands-on experience in working with external partners including 3rd party co-manufacturers, suppliers, associations, etc.
- Experience with pilot plant trials and research study design
- Firsthand manufacturing and auditing/consulting experience
- Knowledge of working with and formulation of all forms of food (dry, canned, injection-molded, etc.) is a plus.
- Involvement in industry organizations and meetings
- Pet parent
Develop Product Formula Design
- Establish and maintain specifications for finished products and raw ingredients while ensuring that all products meet the company’s strict food safety requirements.
- Oversee the development of new nutrition technologies from concept to hand-off to the marketing and R&D applications teams.
- Assess current formula design (“as is”) and future (“should be”) process effectiveness and recommend improvements
Maintain Food Safety, Quality & Regulatory Standards
- Ensure that all company product requirements are met in all international formulations
Work closely with technical and quality assurance personnel to ensure that product specifications are met and appropriate to desired product attributes
- Monitor raw material nutrient values and maintain international ingredients in C5 to ensure proper levels are used in all formula design projects
Identify & Develop New Technology
- Identify and evaluate new technologies that enhance current products and/or create best in class new products
- Conduct efficacy research on new ingredients or technologies under evaluation
- Continuously improve existing products to ensure the best performance while optimizing cost
Exceptional Business Partner
- Present technical data to external scientific, veterinary, and business audiences
- Maintain formula accuracy in formula database and provide relevant reports in order to support other departments
- Submit scientific findings for publication (scientific abstracts, peer-reviewed manuscripts)
- Identify intellectual property opportunities (trade secrets or patents) to give the company a competitive advantage.
- Keep up to date with industry trends by networking with the technical community and attending meetings/conventions.
Blue Buffalo’s Pet Nutrition