Genetech 2023 Summer Intern – Developmental Sciences
Job Title: Summer Intern
Location: South San Francisco
Education (select from the suggested options):
Graduate Level Only: Pursuing Masters or PhD, or graduated from Masters or PhD within the last 2 years.
Preferred majors: Statistics, Physics, Mathematics, Machine Learning, or similar Computational or Engineering field.
- Excellent communication, collaboration, and interpersonal skills.
- Complements our culture and the standards that guide our daily behavior & decisions: Integrity, Courage, and Passion.
- Experience with statistical modeling, including machine learning analysis, is required.
- Experience with scientific computing programming using Matlab, Mathematica, Julia, R or Python is required.
- Experience with time-to-event modeling or survival analysis is strongly preferred.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, enthusiasm to learn and contribute in a multidisciplinary environment, driven by challenges, scientific curiosity.
We have an opening for a full-time internship in the Modeling & Simulation group within the Clinical Pharmacology department at Genentech. This is a great opportunity to apply machine learning and statistical modeling in drug development to help advance cancer immunotherapies. In this role, you will interact and learn from some of the most talented scientists in their field of Clinical Pharmacology, Clinical Development, Biomarker, and Biological Research. You will take part in generalizing a novel survival analysis framework to (neo)adjuvant settings. Our framework links a virtual population generated from a quantitative systems pharmacology (QSP) model to real patients from clinical trials using weakly supervised learning. The goal will be to re-formulate the approach to favor key cancer-immune biological features. This is a challenging role, but it is offering tremendous learning potential, as well as great potential for growth and impact.
This internship position is located in South San Francisco, CA, On-Site.
In addition to building a predictive relationship of survival into a QSP model of cancer immunotherapy for (neo)adjuvant trials, the candidate will be responsible for compiling and processing all data necessary for the project, set up the computational framework required for the project, work closely with other modeling and ML/AI scientists and benefit from each other expertise, learn the biology and the clinical aspects of anti-cancer treatments as needed and collaborate with non-modeling scientists from other departments.
Other responsibilities include:
- Learn and contribute to other modeling tasks, as needed.
- Summarize results in posters for presentation in internal or external conferences.
- Contribute to manuscript writing summarizing the accomplished work.
- Present results at cross-functional teams, department meetings, and/or review committees.
- Adapt and thrive in an interactive, team-oriented culture.
- Program Highlights
- Intensive 6 Months, full time (40 hours per week) paid internship.
- Program start dates are in May and June 2023.
- Ownership of challenging and impactful business-critical projects.
- Work with some of the most talented people in the biotechnology industry.
- Final presentations of project work to senior leaders.
- Lead or participate in intern committees to design and coordinate program events and initiatives.
- Professional & personal development curriculum throughout the program, including networking opportunities, workshops, and panel discussions.
- Participate in volunteer projects, social events, and team-building activities.
Genetech 2023 Summer Intern