Mars Cocoa Process Technology Engineer Vacancy – Apply Online
The position exists to research, identity, develop, and execute Mars Wrigley (MW) Science and Technology programs. The incumbent will lead process development initiatives, including identification, alignment, communication of cocoa and chocolate processing, and technical validation for capacity extension globally. The scope of work includes invention, discovery, development, design, prototyping, laboratory and pilot-scale testing, and production scale-up of innovative process solutions.
Job Title: Cocoa Process Technology Engineer- Chicago, IL
Location Chicago, Illinois, United States
Job ID: 1195201
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Bioprocess & Agricultural Engineering, Food Science and Technology or related
- 5+ years of process development experience in the R&D function of the food industry or scientific environment working in the areas of new technology/process development, exploratory research, and/or lab/pilot plant, with commercialization focus.
- Requires up to 50% domestic and international travel as needed for project activities at research centers, manufacturing facilities, and suppliers, conducting meetings, training, factory trials, and site visits.
- Advanced degree in Food Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Bioprocess & Agricultural Engineering, Food Science and Technology
- 3+ years of process development experience in an industrial business R&D with experience of successful commercialization (from concept to scale-up) into the marketplace or in a scientific environment including post-doctoral working in the areas of new technology/process development, exploratory research with commercialization focus.
- Prior experience of working well with international teams.
- Lead research and development (R&D) projects and teams to deliver novel processes, products, and ingredients for global and local applications by applying scientific rigor through an extensive understanding of food engineering, science & technology principles; process, ingredient, and product characterization methods (microbiological, physical, chemical, economical), ingredient and product safety and shelf life assessments (physical, chemical, microbiological). Deliver breakthrough technologies and products in alignment with R&D priorities for growth.
- Responsible for predictable scale-up of cocoa and chocolate processes from bench-top to manufacturing scale. Deliver process specifications to Global Engineering teams that will be translated to assets that provide quality products at the expected scale.
- Develop and manage capital projects from bench-top to pilot plant and support factory installations by following Mars processes from capital project submission through commissioning, validation, and start-up.
- Design and execute comprehensive research and development plans that include creating new and enhancement of existing process technologies by performing thorough literature, technology, and patent landscape analyses, sensory/consumer testing, and risk assessments.
- Collaboratively working with the Intellectual Property (IP) team, generate and maintain world-class knowledge and IP strategy early on latest emerging technologies, global scientific and technological advances in areas of concern, including competitive IP awareness and monitoring.
- Initiate and develop clear test plans, timelines and key milestones, experimental setup, complete pre-test paperwork, clarify objectives with other team members, test execution, and data analysis to quantify key process parameters and fundamental mechanisms at the laboratory, pilot, and factory scale operations.
- Drive cross-functional collaborations within R&D, Commercial, Engineering, Quality and Supply, develop and implement effective scale-up strategies to achieve exceptional product attributes and ensure superior product quality and food safety.
- Issue trial reports and update stakeholders as appropriate. Gathers information & reports into the relevant knowledge management systems. Seeks to understand perspectives of key project stakeholders and provide timely appraisals on progress.
- Coordinate work conducted by Process and Product Translation & Support (PPTS) teams throughout Mars Supply network to develop and evaluate new practices for application in new Best Practices for cocoa and chocolate manufacturing. Mars representative for communicating Best Practices throughout Mars Supply network.
- Partner with site PPTS to apply Best Practices for all new capacity projects and lead Technical Validation.
- Build upon project management and technical development skills through project experience, training, and mentoring. Responsible for review of progress and development strategies with manager and subject matter experts.
The associate will be responsible for leading projects through the rigorous science stage gates and peer review processes. The jobholder will be responsible for designing comprehensive research plans that include thorough literature and patent landscape analysis, breakthrough, disruptive new process, and ingredient technologies, identifying and creating intellectual property opportunities, testing, and validating novel ingredient and process technologies. The job holder is expected to drive cross-functional team collaborations with associates in the Research and Development, Supply, Commercial, Finance, Legal, Regulatory Affairs, Intellectual Property, Mars Advanced Research Institute, and other Mars segments globally. The job holder will also be expected to identify, select, and manage short & long-term external partnerships and ensure prompt deliveries against set milestones to develop and deliver effective business solutions to support MW growth objectives.
Mars Cocoa Process Technology