Nokia Bell Labs Internship 2021 – Microbiology Candidates Apply
Nokia Bell Labs is building the future – connecting all humans, all senses, all things, all systems, all infrastructure, all processes. Discovering the possibilities that shape the human experience are at the heart of everything we do. Our interns will have the opportunity to learn from and work with industry-leading experts, and the best and brightest minds, who solve the most formidable challenges confronting our world through disruptive innovation and research.
Projects for the 2021 internship cover technologies such as 5G&6G, augmented intelligence, smart devices, IoT, data analytics, robotics, AI, cloud technologies and more…
As well as providing hands-on educational and collaborative experiences for a pool of talented and highly motivated students, our internship program will expand your field of study by exposing you to an unparalleled diversity of people, expertise and perspectives. In classic Bell Labs style, you will leave changed forever by an experience that will redefine your future.
Job Title: Augmented Human Sensing BL Summer Intern
Location: Murray Hill, New Jersey, United States
The next phase of human existence is premised on the ability to drive unprecedented levels of human and economic productivity without increasing the stress and workload on our minds and bodies. A key enabler of that future is the human ability to augment ourselves and our environment to suit our needs. Nokia Bell Labs believes in an augmented future that reaches far beyond the confines of the human body, giving us control of robots and devices that become remote extensions of ourselves. Augmentation won’t just compensate for disabilities; it will enhance our physiologies and continuously track and enhance our health and wellbeing. Augmentation will no longer be limited to physical tasks; it will increase our cognitive abilities and memory, enhancing our minds as well as our muscles.
The current Internet of Things (IoT) era, bolstered by the rapid expansion of 5G networks, seeks to integrate every place, thing, and person into a connected global network of everything. By the time we reach the 6G era 10 years in the future, the level of hyper-connectivity we’re witnessing today will move beyond simply linking “things,” extending directly to the human body and mind. The Augmented Human Sensing Group at Nokia Bell Labs aims to develop the devices and artificial intelligence that will seamlessly integrate human physiology into this network and create the future Augmented Human. This involves developing innovative materials, devices, and machine learning techniques that can continuously and non-invasively interface, sense, and actuate the human body.
To this end, we are seeking highly motivated, talented and enthusiastic students to take part in this year’s Bell Labs Summer Internship Program, ideally designed for graduate students (or exceptional undergraduates with research experience). Based on performance, candidates may also be considered for full-time employment. Students will have the opportunity to learn and work with world experts while contributing to the on-going efforts with their expertise and experience in a classical Bell Labs-style setting.
Job Responsibilities & Competencies
- Interns will have an opportunity to work in an interdisciplinary research group, with access to equipment and expertise in the areas of chemistry, biology, optics, electronics, and artificial intelligence. Depending on the intern’s interest and academic/research experience, interns will have a chance to partake in one of the following projects:
- Design, implementation, and testing of micro/nano-scale sensors for biochemical monitoring of the wound healing process. Experience with biosensing, biomaterials, synthetic/molecular biology or optics is a major plus.
- Design, implementation, and testing of large-scale biomimetic sensors for aerosolized chemical detection. Experience in sensor development, COMSOL multiphysics (MEMS) simulation, surface chemical modification, FPGA programming, or machine learning techniques for time-series data analytics is a major plus.
- Formulate and explore practical human surface sensing biomaterials for the optimization of skin-electrode interfaces. Looking for an experimentalist with a background in material science, biomedical engineering; background in polymer engineering is a plus.
- Explore deep learning approaches to interpreting human physiological time series data for various sensing and bioelectrical imaging applications. Focus on automated feature extraction and classification via convolutional and/or recurrent neural networks. Looking for experience in machine learning, data analytics, and biology.
- Develop an active haptic feedback system for a custom non-invasive bioelectrical Human-Machine Interface. Experience with machine learning, sEMG/EIT, haptics, and/or wearable electrical system integration preferred.
- Design and testing of integrated optical components – including MEMs, swept-source lasers, and Si/SiO photonics chips – for Bell Lab’s next-generation battery-powered, handheld Swept-Source OCT system. Projects will focus on functional imaging modalities such as polarization-sensitive, phase-sensitive, and/or spectroscopic methods. Experience with free-space optics, integrated photonics, and/or digital signal processing preferred.
Overall GPA of 3.0/4.0 or above.
Must be enrolled as a full-time student, ideally in a Ph.D. program.
Work Authorization: U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident preferred. Will accept students on F-1 Visa dependent upon program requirements or may consider sponsoring short-term J1 Visa Ph.D. students dependent upon program requirements.
Education Requested: Must be pursuing a degree in Biochemistry, Physics, Biomedical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Materials Science, Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Nanotechnology, Computer Science, or related field from an accredited college/university within the USA.
Nokia Bell Labs Internship