Public Heath Wales Sr Bioinformaticians Vacancy – Apply Online
They are expanding our bioinformatics team! We are looking for bioinformaticians with a passion for pathogen genomics and its application in healthcare to join a great team working to develop software and analysis methods to improve people’s health
Job Title: Sr bioinformaticians
The Bioinformatics team in the Pathogen Genomics Unit (PenGU) is the Microbiology Division’s software development and analysis support arm. It supports genomic diagnostics, bespoke software development, genomic surveillance of communicable disease and infections in Wales, and provides support for Health Protection Teams in outbreak investigation and contro
- Honours degree in Medical Microbiology or Molecular Biology or similar
- Post graduate qualification (e.g. MSc) in a relevant subject or equivalent experience
Similar equivalent qualifications acceptable for HCPC registration.
- Application of bioinformatics tools using the UNIX command line
- Experience developing software using at least one of C/C++, Perl, Python or Java
- Familiarity with systems for versioning software (ideally git)
- Experience in the analysis of large molecular datasets (incl. high throughput sequencing data)
- Experience developing software within containers or virtual machines and configuration and software maintenance of UNIX servers
- Demonstrated experience of co-ordinating projects in complex and challenging environments
- Experience working in a professional software development environment including procedures such as software versioning, generation of documentation and commenting of code
- Understands, can perform and teach others principles and relevant aspects of bioinformatics
- Accessing and analysis of DNA sequence data with an ability to analyse complex issues where material is conflicting and drawn from multiple sources
- Ability to organise own work and make informed decisions in the absence of required information, working to tight and often changing timescales
- Can recognize problems and generate potential solutions, using knowledge/experience to analyse a range of options and inform sound decision making
The work of the Pathogen Genomics Unit is world-class and offers a varied, challenging and rewarding work environment. This is an opportunity to be at the forefront of Microbiology in Wales and internationally. There are prospects for personal and career development with access to further education and training.
Applications are invited from enthusiastic and self-motivated, graduates in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology or a related discipline.
The role will initially be based at Capital Quarter 2 but will be moving to a new site at Coryton (Cardiff Edge) in 2023
The ability to speak Welsh is desirable for this post; Welsh and/or English speakers are equally welcome to apply.
Main duties of the job Public Heath Wales
The Bioinformatics team in the Pathogen Genomics Unit (PenGU) is the Microbiology Division’s software development and analysis support arm. It supports genomic diagnostics, bespoke software development, genomic surveillance of communicable disease and infections in Wales, and provides support for Health Protection Teams in outbreak investigation and control.
Due to an expansion we are seeking enthusiastic persons to join our team within PenGU. The roles will include the provision of bioinformatics support to the Pathogen Genomics Programme for Public Health Wales and directly contributing to the research activities of the Unit. The roles will assist in developing the infectious disease genomics service and providing specialist bioinformatics advice.
Public Health Wales