Smithfield Food Safety/Quality Assurance Technologist Vacancy 2022
Smithfield Foods, Inc., is a pork producer and food-processing company based in Smithfield, Virginia, in the United States, and a wholly-owned subsidiary of WH Group of China. Check out all the details on the same below:
Job Title: Food Safety/Quality Assurance Technologist
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED), required
Associate’s degree preferred
- Ability to create, revise and interpret technical documents such as quality specifications, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals
- Knowledge and understanding of quality assurance principles, food science and meat processing
- A high level of technical expertise, ownership and practical knowledge of all Quality Assurance and regulatory programs
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence ability to use exposure monitoring
- equipment, interpret and communicate results
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
- Ability to work on the internet, Spreadsheet, Presentation, and Word Processing software
Comprehensive experience and understanding of USDA Rules and Regulations
- Ability to uphold regulatory, company, and customer standards
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong decision making and problem-solving skills
- Must have the ability to complete required application forms in English, which requires the ability to read and write in English.
- Ability to work well with others in fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team-oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
As part of our FS/QA team, you would conduct routine sanitation checks, ensuring that HACCP and USDA regulations are strictly enforced. Providing technical expertise to track products from start to finish, and develop corrective actions when needed. You will be responsible for ensuring that we are able to safely deliver the best Smithfield, Eckrich, Nathan’s Famous, or any of our product brands to customers and consumers.
This position is responsible for ensuring the overall quality in their assigned areas through the management of regulatory, company, and customer policies, programs, and work instructions. This role is expected to conduct accurate grading and documentation of product quality against published product specifications. This position is responsible for monitoring plant programs, which may include but is not limited to: pre-op sanitation; carcass, product and room temperatures; product leakers; and GMPs. Ensures all products meet company specifications and are produced in a wholesome manner that meets Company requirements. This requires working closely with other departments on production issues/situations, product dispositions and investigations into root causes for deficiencies. Assists in managing quality programs and exercising technical expertise, including training, assessing performance and making improvements.
- Conduct all quality inspections in the area of assigned responsibility.
- Maintain quality objectives, prevent complaints and claims and keep quality to specifications through accurate inspections, non-compliance procedures, appropriate reporting, corrective actions and accuracy of paperwork along with sample submissions.
Routine verifications and inspections include process, metal detector, cooking, and chilling type checks.
- Responsible for catching out of specification product by stopping the production process or removing product for rework as required.
- Works with other departments to implement procedure changes, based on predetermined specifications, involving raw materials and finished goods to remedy the cause of any non-compliance as quickly as possible.
- Ability to interpret customer and sales specifications and apply subjective quality decisions to product (ie: product appearance, color, texture, etc).
- Required to take action in response to poor observations by identifying and correcting deficiencies for negative micro or shelf life data in their area of responsibility with an eye toward improvement.
- Utilize technical knowledge to prevent and identify the root cause of process or product failures.
- Continuous improvement of product quality through attention to process expected.
- Activities will include Quality Assurance program management, training line and other
- Quality Assurance employees in quality functions, daily product shows, assessing specs and updating Operations, monitoring giveaways and yields for opportunities.
HACCP Programs and Food Safety
- Assists in development, implementation, and compliance with HACCP programs that support the safe handling of food by recording and analyzing critical control point records that track products through the plant ensuring the safety of food products at all times.
- Properly review and scrutinize all aspects of the food safety system and meat production processes.
USDA Regulatory Requirements
- Ensure the USDA regulatory requirements for Food Safety are met.
- Assist with revisions and update food safety programs and procedures including the annual reassessment of all programs.
- Sanitation Checks
- Conducts pre-operation sanitation checks to ensure all pre-operation sanitation has been done correctly.
- Determines the need for re-sampling of equipment and communicates information to sanitation and plant personnel. Conducts follow-up to ensure the sampling was properly completed.
Food Safety Deficiencies for Smithfield Food Safety/Quality Assurance post
- Communicates findings regarding food safety deficiencies to Plant Food Safety Manager and provides feedback and recommendations.
- Assists with the training to plant employees regarding food safety deficiencies and corrective actions as needed.
- In the absence of key personnel, the employee’s supervisor or qualified designee (one that has been trained in the key employee’s duties) is responsible to complete or delegate the completion of all required tasks and responsibilities.
Smithfield Food Safety/Quality Assurance