Smithfield Quality Assurance Technician – Temporary FT Position 2022
Smithfield Foods in Sioux Falls, SD is seeking a hardworking, detail-oriented student to join our Quality Assurance/ Food Safety team as a temporary, summer position. This entry-level Quality Assurance/Food Safety Technician position provides a strong opportunity for future opportunities with the company.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Junior status in good standing at an accredited four-year university.
- Pursing a degree in Biology, Chemistry, Animal Science, Microbiology or Meat Science.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical procedures.
- Effectively present information to employees, peers and managers.
- Good mathematical and analytical skills.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Must have the ability to complete required applicable forms in English, which requires the ability to read and write in English.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Work Environment & Physical Demands
- The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
- Specific vision includes close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
Responsibilities and tasks are written as follows:
- Collects data-lethality and stabilization profiles on all cooking systems, using Data Trace probes. Analyzes data against the established cook schedules and appropriate cooling schedules.
- Downloads information from the probes into Excel spreadsheets to show internal and ambient air temperatures of the cooking and chilling profiles to show the full cycle, cook cycle, narrow cook, lethality, chill, diagram, and raw data.
- Maintains and organizes the data by HACCP Plan for the HACCP supporting elements.
Assists in communicating findings to appropriate plant personnel both production and mechanical.
- Coordinates probing times with plant personnel.
- Assists in other data probing projects deemed necessary like investigating room temperature variations using I- Buttons temp recorders; plotting production dwell times.
- Enforces all aspects of Food Safety and Quality Management Systems
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Smithfield Quality Assurance Technician