Uncover the Secrets of Malignant Brain Cancers: – PhD Openings in Molecular Biology
The German Cancer Research Center is the largest biomedical research institution in Germany. With more than 3,000 employees, we operate an extensive scientific program in the field of cancer research. Together with university partners at seven renowned partner sites, we have established the German Cancer Consortium (DKTK).
Job Posting: PhD Student – Hematopoietic Stem Cell Dynamics in Malignant Brain Cancers
Department: DKTK partner site Essen/Düsseldorf – Research Group “Cell Plasticity and Metastasis” (Emmy Noether) at University Hospital Essen
Code number: 2023-0379
- Cell culture – Thaw, culture, split, freeze cells; functional in vitro analyses, planning and execution of cell culture experiments including viral transduction and cellular DNA barcoding methods.
- Molecular biology/protein chemistry – PCR, RT-PCR, qRT-PCR, DNA and RNA isolation, protein isolation, Western blots.
- Primary animal experimental research – On tumor tissue in a translational research project that also includes human experimental tissues in patients with glioblastoma.
- Immunohistology/immunofluorescence – Paraffin / cryoembedding, preparation of slides on microtome, multiplexed imaging capture and analysis.
- Molecular and flow cytometric study – Of tumors and tumor cell primary cultures.
- Planning and execution of multi-omics single-cell-based DNA/RNA sequencing methods – Including spatial transcriptomics and multiplexed imaging methods combined with DNA barcoding technologies.
- Bioinformatic and statistical evaluation of results – Documentation and evaluation of research results, As well as preparation of publications, lectures, and posters.
- Preparation of the dissertation within the PhD project
Requirements: PhD Openings in Molecular Biology
- University degree (Master) in molecular biology, molecular medicine or comparable.
- Animal experimental experience (breeding / keeping immunodeficient and/or immunocompetent mouse lines) and knowledge of basic immunological, cell culture, and molecular biology techniques.
- Knowledge of complex multicolor flow cytometry experiments and cell sorting would be preferable.
- Proficiency in multi-omics bioinformatic analysis and programming language (R/Python) is desired.
- Very good knowledge of written and spoken English is expected; knowledge of German is helpful but not mandatory.
- Excellent framework conditions: state-of-the-art equipment and opportunities for international networking at the highest level.
- Access to international research networks.
- Doctoral salary with the usual social benefits.
- 30 days of vacation per year.
- Flexible working hours.
- Possibility of part-time work.
- Family-friendly working environment, e.g. parent-child room, advisory services.
- Sustainable travel to work: subsidized Germany job ticket.
- Unleash your full potential: targeted training and mentoring through the DKFZ International PhD Program and DKFZ Career Service.
- Our Corporate Health Management Program offers a holistic range of services for your well-being.