University of Michigan – Microbiology Sr Scientist Vacancy
The Senior Clinical Technologist plans and implements special, complex procedures for use in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases, along with assisting in the establishment and maintenance of quality control standards
Job Title: MICROBIOLOGY MOLECULAR SENIOR TECHNOLOGIST
The Microbiology Laboratory is located at 2800 Plymouth Rd in the North Campus Research Complex, Ann Arbor.
What Benefits can you Look Forward to?
Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage effective on your very first day
2:1 Match on retirement savings
- Provide day-to-day technical supervision of qualified personnel performing testing and reporting high complexity test results.
- Responsible for reviewing procedures and policies no less than biennially within the document management system. This includes modifying, and archiving. Final approval for any new or revised document is completed by the CLIA Laboratory Director.
- Provides advanced problem solving, troubleshooting, interpretation, consultation and verification of test results. Acts as technical adviser/expert in area of expertise.
- Assist in the development and implementation of new protocols and selection of new equipment.
- Performs validation of equipment, analyzers, and tests in area of expertise.
- Monitor, organize, maintain Quality control and Quality Assurance Records. Ensure that quality assurance and control is being performed in a timely manner. Maintains all QA/QC records
- Review Quality Control and instrument function reports to ensure that acceptable levels of analytical performance are maintained.
- Monitors instrument maintenance, repair, and calibration in area of expertise
- Assists in preparation for CAP inspections
- Submits PT surveys and performs summary review, along with review with testing personnel
- Assess training competency of new employees, initially, and after 6 months. Performs annual evaluation.
- Conduct training competencies for all new test methods or new equipment
- Distribute proficiency testing among employees, in area of expertise.
- Maintain expertise/competency in all areas related to the area of expertise.
- Professional Development
- Fulfill departmental continuing education requirement.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Organize and maintain accurate quality control records
- Review, update and write procedures for Molecular Microbiology
- Investigate quality assurance issues and respond to change in requirements
- Notify vendors for repairs or preventive maintenance and maintain equipment in the area
- Utilize pathology department information and data systems
- SCC (Lab MIC and MIC Mol)
- Temp trak
- Media Lab
- M Learning
- Telephone technology
- Train employees and teach Medical Technology students, Pathology Residents, new hires, and High School students, good microbiology skills.
- Perform clinical testing in the area
- Assess and document competency, remediate if necessary
- Evaluate new tests and/or methods
- Prepare area for inspection by accrediting agencies
Communicate with clinicians, and assume responsibility in the absence of the supervisor\
In order to be considered for this position the applicant must have met or will have met all the required qualifications prior to the start date of employment.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Medical Laboratory Science, or biological science which is directly related to the duties of the position is required, as well as certification as a Medical Laboratory Scientist MLS (ASCP) or Medical Technologist MT(AMT) or specialty certification is required
- Must have a minimum of 4 years (post-training), clinical experience relevant to the position
- Must have demonstrated ability to perform the duties of an MT at a high level of expertise, and the ability to perform the assigned work without sacrificing patient care or assigned work.
- Must have the demonstrated ability to communicate clearly, concisely and effectively with other medical personnel in both verbal and written form; demonstrated ability to independently organize and prioritize work, and to exercise initiative in recognizing and solving problems. Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a diverse team.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Will typically receive an average of 16 hrs/wk (40%) to accomplish the extra duties. This will vary at the scheduling supervisor’s/manager’s discretion based on the amount of senior clinical work pending, and patient work or other projects that must be completed. Works with infectious disease and/or hazardous materials.
- May have exposure to noise from laboratory equipment and pneumatic tube system.
- May participate in a rotating weekend, holiday and on call work schedule.
- Requires frequent standing/walking/sitting/hand pipetting for long periods of time and the ability to lift up to 40 lbs.
Time management skills and the ability to accomplish extra duties while completing patient work.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world’s most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
University of Michigan,
University of Michigan