Food Science R&D Intern 2023 @ Cargill – Apply Online
The Research & Development (R&D) function at Cargill will provide students with a career interest and a food related academic background, the opportunity to apply knowledge gained in the classroom to a business environment. The internship program is designed to provide students with the opportunity to learn and work with Cargill business units/function to provide solutions to customers
You will be assigned to a project or multiple projects that will be substantive in nature and will create exposure to a variety of work activities. Interns will have the opportunity to:
- Gain immediate hands on work experience in one of the world’s largest agribusiness companies.
- Participate in orientation, networking, mentoring relationships and other opportunities targeted towards personal and professional development.
- Receive periodic and candid feedback on job performance.
- Your internship project(s) will be in one of two areas: research or applications.
- Research’ oriented projects encompass applying scientific principles to build knowledge about food ingredients in our portfolio for use in finished food systems. Knowledge generated by the research group is typically used by our business units and customers to support development of new Cargill ingredients or customers’ finished products. The intern will work as part of a team on a variety of research projects focused on using analytical chemistry and food material science to characterize functionality of food ingredients at the molecular level.
- Applications’ oriented projects involve applying lab or pilot work on customer finished food systems. Such applications work is typically done to meet a customer need and to support development of a new Cargill ingredient or product.
Your Internship may take place in one of the following areas:
Food R&D Team: Research how Cargill ingredients function in snacks and bakery applications and processes. Creating new and innovative bakery, snack, dairy, and beverage formulations for customers and/or tradeshows.
Global Core R&D Team: This team focuses on research in the following areas: Ingredient Chemistry, Material Science, Chemical Characterization, Nutrition, Biology, Fermentation and Food Safety Research. Summer interns will have the opportunity to work with our teams developing novel chemical and material characterization methods, processing techniques and product analyses, and applying those both in long-term scientific investigations and short-term support of business-driven product development. Projects in this space can vary widely, but will generally focus on new ingredient or process method development, or in building of tools to better understand Cargill products & processes.
During your internship experience, you will be assigned projects, participate in company events and community events, and will have the opportunity to network with and learn from different levels of company management. Upon completion of the summer, you will have the opportunity to present a summary of your learnings and experiences to management, your colleagues, and your peers.
- Housing assistance and relocation reimbursement are available to interns who qualify.
- Internships are paid and are typically 12 weeks in duration.
- Day-to-day transportation to and from work is the responsibility of the intern.
- As employees, interns receive access to volunteer and community outreach opportunities and paid time off for volunteer activities.
- Throughout the internship, interns and co-ops are encouraged to participate in events that will give exposure to leadership, provide development opportunities, and offer the ability to network with cross-functional interns/co-ops across the U.S.
We promote a culture that celebrates diversity. This is a reflection of the clients we serve and generates an intellectually diverse set of employees. Business Resource Groups (BRGs) help us embrace our diversity, make our culture more inclusive and maximize our employees’ outstanding talents and perspectives to benefit our organization and employees.
- Our U.S. Business Resource Groups Include:
- Asian Alliance Network
- Cargill Young Professionals Network
- Cargill Ability Network (iCAN)
- Cargill Ebony Council
- Group Responsible for Orienting and Welcoming (GROW)
- Hispanic-Latino Council
- Cargill Pride Network
- Veterans & Military Support Network
- Cargill Women’s Network
Job Location: Minneapolis, MN and the surrounding Twin Cities area
- Have obtained at least a Junior-level standing in your Bachelor’s degree or currently pursuing a Master’s or Doctorate degree, graduating between December 2023 – May 2024
- A degree in Food Science, Microbiology, Chemistry, or a related technical science degree is required
- Right to work in the U.S. that is not based solely on possession of a student visa or a visa sponsored by a third-party employer
- Proven ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- All candidates must be geographically flexible and willing to relocate for this internship opportunity
- Able to complete a 12-week internship in the summer (May/June – August 2023)
- Must possess a high degree of initiative and resourcefulness in completing work with limited guidance
- Overall 3.0 GPA or higher on a 4.0 scale is preferred
- Ability to prioritize and manage a large workload with multiple priorities
- Demonstrated problem solving and decision-making
- Strong leadership and technical skills
Food Science R&D Intern