2023 Global Large Molecule Science & Technology Co-Op @ Merck
The Future Talent Program features Cooperative (Co-op) education that lasts up to 6 months and will include one or more projects. These opportunities in our Manufacturing Division can provide you with great development and a chance to see if we are the right company for your long-term goals.
Location: West Point, Pennsylvania, United States of America
Kenilworth, New Jersey, United States of America
Required Education and Experience:
Candidates must be currently working toward B.S. in Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering, Data Science, or a related field.
This experience will provide you with a great opportunity to develop yourself both technically and professionally. This co-op will work in a Large Molecule Science and technology role providing global technical support to vaccine and biologics manufacturing areas while actively supporting, participating in and embracing an empowered team culture. You will get an opportunity to work alongside scientists and engineers in late-stage process development, commercialization, tech transfer and expansion, and commercial manufacturing support.
Large Molecule Science and Technology is responsible for end-to-end technology support for vaccines and biologics. Advancing our growing pipeline of large molecules while supporting the existing commercial manufacture and expansion. This includes the planning and execution of process development studies to support design & characterization of commercial-scale processes. The organization is also responsible for technology transfer to commercial manufacturing sites. We support process validation, regulatory approval, and initial launch of our new products.
LM S&T includes the multiple departments listed below. The intent is to have co-ops assigned to each department.
- Biologics Drug Substance Process Development & Commercialization (Kenilworth, NJ and North Wales, PA, and West Point, PA), is focused on the commercialization of biological and vaccine drug substances
- Sterile Drug Product Commercialization (West Point, PA) – is focused on the commercialization of sterile drug products, including biologics, vaccines, and sterile small molecules
- Technical Product Leadership (West Point, PA) is focused on end-to-end support of vaccine and biologic products, including internal and external nodes.
- Global Science and Technology Services (West Point, PA) is focused on specific subject matter expertise support of commercialization and manufacturing including data science, raw materials, product contact components, primary packaging components, quantitative sciences, and validation.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Contributes to the performance and results of a department.
- Applies technical skills to align activities with department objectives.
- Designing and executing process development and characterization studies.
- Authoring technical protocols for studies, including ensuring appropriate design of experiments (DoE), sample size selection, and acceptance criteria.
- Managing sample submission and tracking. Employing statistical tools and methods to analyze results
- Authoring technical reports that can be used as source documentation for regulatory filings
- Participation in development and commercial teams (working group/product council)
- Presenting study results and conclusions at team (working group/product council) and department meetings
- Ensuring technical information is clearly understood and integrated into decision making
- Supporting computational modeling work
- Authoring or performing second-person review (SPR) for high-quality regulatory submissions
- Works as a team member on manufacturing investigations, validation activities and/or process improvement projects.
- Has ability to examine an issue from diverse perspectives (safety, compliance, automation, equipment, process, and people) in order to best understand and resolve the root cause.
- Assures consistent application of standardized work, engineering and process tools and procedures.
- Authors and updates technical and manufacturing documents necessary for investigations, process design/definition, engineering studies, process demonstrations, change control and validation.
- Supports departmental plans and priorities based on team/department scorecard to address local business, service and operational challenges.
- Identifies and resolves technical and operational problems using MPS and lean/six sigma tools.
- Effectively collaborates with peers on site and above site as required.
- Effectively communicates both verbally and written.
- Makes decisions – guided by policies, procedures, and department objectives.
- Consults on an as-needed basis with the next-level manager on more complex decisions.
- Ensuring safety when performing experiments in the lab and documentation compliance when performing technical writing
- Contributing to a culture of high performance, out-of-the-box thinking, innovation and learning, empowerment, diversity and inclusion
2023 Global Large Molecule