Job at BSC The Spanish National Bioinformatics Institute (INB) seeks a technical research manager that will join the team to support the Impact Data Science programme’s coordination, liaising with all stakeholders within and outside the BSC, and contributing to coordinating the technical tasks.
Job Title: Technical Research Manager
Company: Barcelona Supercomputing Center (BSC)
Minimum Qualification: University Degree (some relation with Life Sciences and/or IT will be an advantage)
Experience: At least two years’ experience in research management and project proposal preparation, preferably in the life sciences/IT area
- A bioinformatics background
- Experience on developing project technical specifications
- Experience coordinating research proposals and projects funded by the Framework Programme of the European Commission, the Spanish Plan Estatal as well as bilateral contracts with companies, will be an advantage
- Fluency in English and Spanish is essential
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to understand scientific literature, and software documentation
- Used to working autonomously and taking the initiative
- Ability to represent the team in international project meetings
- Used to working under pressure with strict deadlines
- The position will be located at BSC within the Life Sciences Department
- We offer a full-time contract (37.5h/week), a good working environment, a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructure, flexible working hours, extensive training plan, restaurant tickets, private health insurance, support to the relocation procedures
- Duration: Open-ended contract due to technical and scientific activities linked to the project and budget duration
- Holidays: 23 paid vacation days plus 24th and 31st of December per our collective agreement
- Salary: we offer a competitive salary commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the candidate and according to the cost of living in Barcelona
- Starting date: September
Responsibilities of Technical Research Manager at BSC:
- Plan the use of resources and monitor the progress of work of research projects involving several partners, supporting the PI in keeping track of both technical and administrative tasks.
- Interface with BSC legal services, BSC researchers and external parties, including negotiating, supervising the drafting and signing process of contracts (consortium agreements, NDAs, grant agreements, contracts with companies, etc.).
- Organize and participate in project meetings, teleconferences, reviews and other events.
- Maintain communication with project stakeholders; participate in regular meetings and discussions.
Possible Interview Questions and Answers:
- Can you provide an overview of your experience in managing research projects involving multiple partners, and how do you plan and monitor their progress effectively?
Sample Answer: In my previous role as a Technical Research Manager, I managed various research projects that involved multiple partners. To ensure efficient progress, I would start by creating a detailed project plan that outlines milestones, deliverables, and timelines. I also allocate resources effectively and establish clear communication channels among team members. Regular progress reviews and status updates help me monitor the projects closely, making adjustments as needed to ensure they stay on track.
- How do you handle the negotiation and drafting of contracts, including consortium agreements, NDAs, grant agreements, and contracts with external companies?
Sample Answer: My experience in contract negotiation and drafting involves close collaboration with legal services and stakeholders. I ensure that all parties understand the terms and expectations of the contract. I take a proactive approach in identifying potential issues and risks and work with legal experts to mitigate them. My goal is to streamline the contract process, ensure compliance with relevant regulations, and expedite the signing process to keep projects on schedule.
- How do you typically organize and facilitate project meetings, teleconferences, and reviews to ensure effective communication and collaboration among team members and partners?
Sample Answer: Organizing and facilitating project meetings is essential for maintaining clear communication and collaboration. I start by establishing a regular meeting schedule and sharing agendas in advance. During the meetings, I ensure that discussions stay on topic and that action items are assigned and followed up on. Teleconferences are coordinated to accommodate different time zones if needed. Additionally, I organize periodic project reviews to assess progress, identify challenges, and make necessary adjustments to meet project goals.
- How do you maintain effective communication with project stakeholders, including researchers, partners, and external parties, to keep them informed and engaged in the project’s progress?
Sample Answer: Maintaining communication with project stakeholders is a critical aspect of my role. I use various communication tools such as email, project management software, and collaborative platforms to share updates and relevant information. Regular meetings and discussions, both formal and informal, are scheduled to address concerns, answer questions, and gather feedback. I believe in transparent and open communication, ensuring that all stakeholders are informed and engaged throughout the project’s lifecycle.
- Can you provide an example of a challenging situation you’ve encountered in managing a research project and how you successfully resolved it?
Sample Answer: Certainly, in one of my previous roles, we faced a significant delay in a research project due to unforeseen technical issues. The partners were becoming increasingly frustrated, and it threatened the project’s success. To address this challenge, I initiated a series of emergency meetings with the technical teams from each partner to identify the root causes of the issues. We collaborated closely to develop solutions and implemented a revised project plan to recover lost time.
I also maintained open communication with all stakeholders, sharing regular updates on our progress and the steps we were taking to address the delay. This proactive approach helped rebuild trust and confidence among the project partners, and ultimately, we successfully completed the project on time.
Job at BSC, Job at BSC,Job at BSC