Bioinformatics Internship at Gilead, Online Application Process
Bioinformatics Internship at Gilead, Online Application Process. Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company founded in 1987. Together we deliver life-saving therapies to patients in need. With the commitment and drive you bring to the workplace every day, you will be part of a team that is changing the world and helping millions of people live healthier, more fulfilling lives.
Location: United States – California – Foster City
Req ID: R0025048
Gilead Sciences is continuing to hire for all open roles. Our interview process may be conducted virtually and some roles will be asked to temporarily work from home. Over the coming weeks and months, we will be implementing a phased approach to bringing employees back to site to ensure the health and safety of our teams.
As a Gilead Intern, you will contribute to high-impact meaningful projects that will not only further advance our company’s mission but will allow you to gain real world experience at one of the most innovative organizations in the world. You will also have opportunities to participate in special events including professional development and leadership presentations, social/network building activities and local community volunteer programs.
Who We Are
The Clinical Bioinformatics team applies its expertise to support analysis, visualization and interpretation of clinical datasets. These datasets include next-generation sequencing and clinical data collected from patients. We work collaboratively with other functional teams to support drug development and translational programs in various disease areas.
The ideal candidate will have a background in quantitative or life sciences and have a strong interest in the analysis and interpretation of patient-derived data. Interns will work closely with experienced data scientists on topics related to data visualization, integration, analysis, and pipeline development. The internship project will address relevant questions related to one or more of our core therapeutic areas, which may include the oncology, virology, or inflammation disease areas. The intern will gain hands-on experience in statistical and computational methods for the analysis of biological and clinical data, as well as critical thinking skills. At the conclusion of the internship program, interns will make a poster and give a presentation summarizing their work to an audience with a broad scientific background across various functional teams.
Job Responsibilities may include the following tasks:
- Data analysis of clinical or biomarker datasets using machine-learning techniques and statistical methods
- Review of scientific literature for the interpretation of key findings
- Writing of analysis reports
- Create, test, and run pipeline for analysis of clinical or biomarker datasets
- Discuss and convey findings through PowerPoint and poster presentations
Knowledge, Experience, & Skills:
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must be currently enrolled as a full-time student in an accredited university/college or research institute: undergraduate students in their 3rd (junior) or 4th (senior) year; or graduate students enrolled in a Master or Ph.D. program. Must be enrolled in the fall semester after the completion of the internship
- Pursuing a degree in Biology, Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Genomics, Biostatistics, Computer Science, or related field
- Experience programming in R and/or Python and with the Linux command line
- Ability to complete 10-12 consecutive week internship between May and September
- Excellent communications skills and a strong work ethic are essential
- Must show proof of full COVID-19 vaccination* prior to start of internship
- Understanding of statistics and next-generation/third generation sequencing preferred
- Familiarity with a Linux cluster computing environment
- Proficiency with R and/or Python
- Excellent detail oriented analytical, problem-solving skills
- Strong organizational, time-management, interpersonal and communication capabilities
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite
- Ability to identify issues and seek solutions
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Demonstrated commitment to Gilead’s core values
- Efficient, organized, and able to handle short timelines in a fast-paced environment
Gilead Core Values:
- Integrity (Doing What’s Right)
- Inclusion (Encouraging Diversity)
- Teamwork (Working Together)
- Excellence (Being Your Best)
- Accountability (Taking Personal Responsibility)