Mercer Foods R&D Intern, Applications Invited
Mercer Foods R&D Intern, Applications Invited. Mercer Foods is all about making goodness delicious. We take the best that nature has to offer to simply create the finest freeze-dried fruits and vegetables. For packaged food manufacturers, retailers, restaurants or foodservice establishments, Mercer Foods offers a complete solution for your freeze-dried food needs, including an extensive product portfolio and complete customization capabilities.
Research & Development Intern
Requisition ID: 1436
Salary Range: $16.0000 Hourly Onwards
Department: Quality and R&D
Reports to: Supervisor
Job Type: Hourly, Part-Time
The ideal candidate will possess and live by Mercer Foods core values.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES: The Research & Development Intern will serve as a multifaceted member of the Research & Development team. The Research & Development Intern will assist in handling raw material, developing and maintaining the raw material and finished product specifications, maintaining work instructions, updating and maintaining drying ramp profiles, researching shelf life of the frozen and freeze-dried products, resolving drying related quality, production, and efficiency problems. Other duties as assigned.
- Living Mercer Values: Demonstrates the characteristics and behaviours of an individual who is living Mercer’s values. Mercer’s values are accountability, continuous improvement, integrity, personal growth and wellness, teamwork, and work-life balance.
- Attendance: Attendance is essential in demonstrating dependability. A reliable team member is on time for all scheduled shifts and is present as scheduled. Any team member with two or more active steps of discipline for attendance does not meet the expectations of the position.
- Performance: Demonstrates the skills and abilities to perform his or her job. Any team member with two or more active steps of discipline for any combination of disciplinary actions does not meet the expectations of the position.
- Safety: Good judgement is demonstrated at all times to maintain a safe work environment. Any team member with two or more active steps of discipline for safety-related incidents does not meet the expectations of the position.
- Training: Current training is an indication of job preparedness from a safety, job skills, and food safety perspective. An employee that has completed all training expectations throughout the year as it pertains to his or her job requirements demonstrates that he or she meets the expectations of his or her position. A person that has past due training does not meet the expectations of his or her position.
- Attention to Detail: Completes tasks efficiently and accurately while paying close attention to detail.
- Communication: Possesses strong communication skills and can explain complex concepts in ways everyone can understand. Is often seen as having strong interpersonal skills.
- Compliance: Ensure compliance with Federal and State laws and regulations, and corporate policies/processes.
- Documentation: Maintain proper documentation and records.
- Individual Contributor: Must be highly motivated and able to work independently
- Integrity: Maintain the highest integrity with regard to the Company’s policies, procedures, practices, and data.
- Microsoft Office: Ability to use all MS applications such as Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Word.
- Priorities: Identifying and aligning priorities with business vision, mission, and values while achieving objectives.
- Quality Standards: Must be able to understand quality standards, methods, and reporting as required.
- Relationships: Works with all teams to maintain effective relationships.
- System Management: Manage data systems, including developing and monitoring data entry, maintenance, tracking, reporting, and output.
REQUIREMENTS: B.S in Food Science preferred. The position will require basic math, reading, and writing skills. Experience utilizing lab equipment in a food production environment (educational lab work is acceptable). Demonstrated ability to communicate orally and in written form effectively with co-workers and customers. Must have computer operation systems knowledge and expertise.
FOOD SAFETY REQUIREMENTS:
- Place high priority on food safety, quality, and sanitation by understanding and executing Mercer Food’s food safety and sanitation policies and procedures.
- Hold self and others accountable to Mercer Foods food safety & sanitation guidelines and policies by communicating any food safety incident, observation, or opportunity to your leadership team or teammates.
- In the absence of a QC Manager or QA Senior Manager, serves as a backup to ensure all food safety, quality objectives and SQF system requirements are met.