Sensient’s Beverage Flavors Internship R&D – Apply Online
Sensient’s Beverage Flavors Internship R&D – Apply Online. Sensient Flavors & Extracts Group develops, manufactures and distributes flavor and fragrance systems that are found in thousands of consumer products worldwide. The company’s specialty systems are essential components of food, beverage, household and personal care products. Sensient’s value-added flavors and fragrances enable our customers to excel in highly competitive global markets. The Flavors & Fragrances Group is located in Hoffman Estates, Illinois.
Intern – Beverage Flavors R&D
Location: Hoffman Estates, IL, United States
Sensient’s Beverage Flavors North America division is seeking a talented lab intern! The intern will gain an in-depth experience in, product development, lab comprehension and equipment knowledge within flavors and specialty value-added ingredient applications. The intern will also be encouraged to explore other areas of interest to learn more about fundamentals and the general operations both within and outside of the assigned department that will be supplemental to the learning experience.
- Assists a Beverage Technologist in daily work by preparing products, performing benchtop evaluations and preparing customer demos.
- Responsible for maintaining laboratory inventory of ingredients, equipment, packaging and general supplies.
- Responsible for data entry into DevEx system to document and ship samples.
- Responsible for production of finished product samples in pilot plant as needed.
- May assist in flavor preparation, testing, learning the formula creation process, maintaining flavor library, participation in ideation sessions, and other lab work as assigned.
- Checks raw materials for quality.
- Conducts physical, chemical and organoleptic testing; makes oral and written observations and judgments on process and outcome to provide feedback to chemist.
- Maintains a safe and professional laboratory environment; complies with government and company safety directives.
- Utilizes good communication skills, both written and oral; enters and maintains accurate and thorough records as required.
- Attend staff meetings on a regular basis.
- Lead a development project from start to finish.
- Help maintain the lab, i.e. washing glassware, filing flavors, cleaning out refrigerators etc.
- Previous experience in a lab environment.
- Ability to follow detailed product preparation instructions and prepare samples quickly and accurately.
- Well organized, able to handle multiple tasks daily, and operate in a safe and responsible manner in the lab.
- Strong work ethic, ability to work well with others and a positive can-do attitude.
- Able to lift up to 30 lbs occasionally.
Education & Experience
- At least 2 years of college science coursework preferably in the area of Food Science or Chemistry.
- Proficient in the use of MS Office programs. Able to learn new systems quickly.
- Prior internship in the food industry is beneficial but not mandatory.