Summer Internship/Computational Biology @ Boehringer Ingelheim
Boehringer Ingelheim is currently seeking a talented and innovative Intern to join our Global Computational Biology and Digital Science department located at our Ridgefield facility. As an Intern, you will contribute to data analysis that will help us discover new therapies for the liver disease, nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH). Techniques such as spatial transcriptomics and multi-omic analysis are enabling biological insights with the potential to lead to impactful treatments. This internship will focus on the evaluation and implementation of new techniques and data sets, with an eye towards discovering drug targets and deep understanding of the disease of NASH, including potential subgroups of patients with different disease trajectories.
As an employee of Boehringer Ingelheim, you will actively contribute to the discovery, development and delivery of our products to our patients and customers. Our global presence provides opportunity for all employees to collaborate internationally, offering visibility and opportunity to directly contribute to the companies’ success. We realize that our strength and competitive advantage lie with our people. We support our employees in a number of ways to foster a healthy working environment, meaningful work, diversity and inclusion, mobility, networking and work-life balance. Our competitive compensation and benefit programs reflect Boehringer Ingelheim’s high regard for our employees
- Must be an Undergraduate, Graduate, or Professional Student in good academic standing.
- Must have completed 12 credit hours within a related major and/or other related coursework.
- Overall, cumulative GPA (from last completed quarter) must be at least 3.000 (on 4.0 scale) or better (No rounding up).
- Major must be related to the field of internship.
Desired Experience, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience in programming, particularly in R or Python languages
- Basic understanding and coursework in biology. Molecular biology or bioinformatics of particular benefit
- Experience dealing with large amounts of data desirable, especially on Linux systems and on the AWS cloud
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Good work ethic and enjoyment of problem solving
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work with spatial transcriptomic data to implement new algorithms for cell-cell crosstalk, understanding differentially patterns of expression, and combining spatial transcriptomics effectively with other data types, such as single cell RNAseq
- Investigate different approaches to combine heterogenous data types to enable novel insights of disease biology
- Assist with data cleanup and processing to enable interpretation of results
- Communicate results within computational biology and to biologists
Summer Internship/Computational Biology