Unilever Associate Food Scientist Vacancy – Apply Online
R&D Savory Operations is the market facing R&D team for the North American retail business whose purpose is supporting technical management of the existing and future portfolio in Unilever’s Savory categories. The operations team translates global and regional products to local market conditions. It is accountable for meeting customer and consumer needs such as supporting claims generation, qualifying alternate sourcing of raw materials, artwork review and approval, specification writing, and implementing cost savings initiatives. The role includes building a strong partnership with our Supply Chain and Quality partners, creating the link up to our innovation teams, and working closely to drive robust service in our factories, problem-solving business continuity challenges, and driving continuous improvement and complexity reduction projects. This role presents an exciting opportunity for someone passionate about food, product development, and the consumer goods industry to work on iconic brands such as Knorr and Lipton. The product range covers side dish products, soups, sauces, gravies, and bouillons. The technical formats include dry powders, concentrated liquids, and pasty extrusion.
Job Title: Associate Food Scientist
Job ID: R-48785
Location: Englewood Cliffs, NJ
- Minimum of B.S. in Food Science or relevant scientific related field of study.
- 1-2 years of experience in R&D or Quality in a food manufacturing or laboratory environment is preferred. A combination of work experience/Internship and education will be considered.
- Possess basic technical knowledge of ingredient functionality, processing, nutrition, and legislation in foods.
- Strong digital background in MS Office (Outlook, Teams,OneDrive, Excel),
- SAP (Product Lifecycle Management), and other related specification systems is a plus
- Effective verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills within cross-functional teams and with outside customers.
- Good project management, organizational skills, multi-tasking, and quick learning will enable success in this role.
Who you are & What You’ll do.
- Problem solver: The position requires the application of technical knowledge and scientific methodologies that include benchtop evaluations and experimentation. You are capable to identify necessary experts and work together to find root cause and solution.
- You are a dot connector: You are quick to see gaps be it in processes or systems, and have good ideas on how to close them.
- You are a changemaker: You understand when there is a need for change in approach or process, and you know who to work with to make it happen.
- You are a born leader: Pro-active self-direction with a high level of initiative and persistence and a very much hands-on approach to results delivery
Essential duties and key responsibilities include:
- R&D technical support to cross-functional teams (marketing, customer development, planning, production, procurement, quality, regulatory) for innovation, renovation, cost improvement, and contingency planning projects, as necessary.
- Artwork review and approval for the US retail business. Requires a rudimentary understanding of US Food regulations.
- Evaluate proposed alternate formulas, raw materials, or suppliers by reviewing for compliance, completing sensory and analytical analysis, and implementing into specification systems.
- Produce formulas on the bench or in the core processing lab. Includes setting up formula for small scale process, weighing ingredients, collecting samples.
- Conduct and lead product showings/cuttings with cross-functional teams
- Demonstrate the ability to interpret testing, share results, and suggest scientifically sound next steps (with appropriate assistance and support).
Support business continuity issues resolution to maintain service to customers.
- Consistently represents the R&D Group in a positive professional manner, exemplifying Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs) as well as Good Laboratory Practices (GLPs).
- Consistently demonstrates personally safe work habits and promotes like behavior in other personnel and outside contacts.
Unilever Associate Food Scientist