Illumina hiring – Senior Scientist Post Vacancy – Apply Online
What if the work you did every day could impact the lives of people you know? Or all of humanity?
At Illumina, we are expanding access to genomic technology to realize health equity for billions of people around the world. Our efforts enable life-changing discoveries that are transforming human health through the early detection and diagnosis of diseases and new treatment options for patients.
Job Title: Senior Scientist
Location: US – California – San Diego
- Independently designs and performs experiments, interprets their own and others’ results, considers how they may impact own progress and project deliverables and identifies alternate strategies and may submit invention disclosures with others
- Owns and plans projects along with schedule and budget within technical area of expertise and may direct other scientists’ and engineers’ experiments (includes planning and design as appropriate)
- Sets standards and processes for themselves and others in experimental design, data collection and analysis and defines technical requirements for products or small projects (considering robustness, scalability, and cost)
- Identifies risks and provides recommendations for risk mitigation in area of responsibility and at critical interfaces to other teams
- Provides technical leadership in the lab and mentors supporting scientists, engineers and junior personnel on technical skills in one’s area of expertise
- Listed responsibilities are an essential, but not exhaustive list, of the usual duties associated with the position. Changes to individual responsibilities may occur due to business needs.
- Demonstrate advanced theoretical understanding of scientific principles within own discipline or advanced knowledge within own discipline and department; mastering most relevant areas
- Possess breadth of expertise across multiple projects or multiple disciplines.
- Ability to handle new tasks or operations without guidance and then train others (e.g., advanced instrumentation, advanced software, new experimental methods)
Able to set technical evaluation acceptance criteria (bake-offs, new projects, collaborations, etc.)
- Ability to influence decisions and involve relevant stakeholders on projects
- Productive and effective written and verbal communication of observations and technical findings and progress required
- All listed requirements are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional task and responsibilities.
Typically requires a minimum of 5 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree; or 3 years and a Master’s degree; or a PhD without experience; or equivalent work experience
NGS assay development and product development experience strongly desired, especially in the clinical, oncology, and liquid biopsy space
People management and mentorship experience preferred