Microbiology & Biological Science R&D Food Portfolio Specialist Job
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have a real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Job Title: R&D Food Portfolio Specialist
Location Lenexa, Kansas, US
Job ID: 203270BR
Microbiology (or another biological science-related) degree or significant experience in a microbiology laboratory setting
- Experience in training and evaluating the performance of others with microbiological techniques
- Experience with the food protection portfolio products is preferred but not essential
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software including Excel is required
- High competency in basic scientific techniques
- Good organizational and communication skills
- High energy, with perseverance and the ability to work flexible hours (early start, late finish) in a high pace environment
How will you make an impact?
- As an R&D Food Portfolio Specialist (Scientist II) within our Microbiology Division, you’ll be working in our Food Protection team with up to 5 other scientists on the optimization of enrichment protocols for new and existing molecular food safety products.
- You’ll work in accordance with standard operating procedures (SOPs) to ensure work is carried out within schedule, budget, and according to the project plan.
- You’ll be part of a team of employees who share a common set of values – Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement.
- Our ability to grow year after year is driven by our ability to attract, develop and retain world-class people who will thrive in our environment and share in our desire to improve mankind by enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
What will you do?
As a Scientist II in our Food Protection team, you will be responsible for:
- Thinking creatively, leading and carrying out custom protocol evaluations for food protection products to meet customer/end user requirements
- Utilizing strong interpersonal skills to challenge stakeholders, including customers, with appropriate levels of detail for the target audience and escalate to senior team members accordingly
- Leading and expertly delivering training for molecular food safety products to a range of audiences including those that are highly familiar with the technical aspects of the product range
- Co-ordinating and conducting validation (e.g. AOAC-RI PTM, AFNOR) of protocols for molecular products against ISO/USDA-FSIS/FDA-BAM standard methods
- Demonstrating the ability to interpret large, complex datasets and make technical decisions, recognizing where support is required
- Extracting key findings from datasets effectively and accurately
- Proactively seeking solutions to mitigate risks that may impact project work/timelines
- Proactively seeking process/data handling enhancements to streamline the accessibility of custom protocol data for rapid response to technical enquiries
- Utilizing strong communication skills, including customer-facing technical writing, to present R&D project information to a range of audiences
- Maintaining laboratory notebooks to the appropriate standard
- Providing R&D team with regular project progress updates
- Any other duties/projects that are within the skills and ability of the post-holder
Microbiology & Biological Science