Cepheid R&D Intern Recruitment – Molecular Biology Apply
Cepheid R&D Intern Recruitment – Molecular Biology Apply. Today, Cepheid operates within the Danaher family of Operating Companies. With a patient-centric approach, the Company is striving to deliver the benefits of seamlessly accessible molecular testing closer to the patient, enabling a higher quality of care, lower costs, and improved outcomes.
Job Title: Oncology R&D Intern
Job Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Job ID: R1132257
The Oncology Research & Development department delivers a growing menu of molecular diagnostic tests that currently focus on cancers of the breast, bladder, and blood. Oncology R&D collaborates closely with various departments to develop Cepheid oncology products with on-site, on-demand, standardized, and reliable results. With an internship in the Oncology R&D department, you will have the opportunity to gain professional experience developing IVD tests at a molecular diagnostic company.
This position is primarily a hands-on, bench level position with learning opportunities in the areas related to real-time PCR assay development and related technologies.
The internship program includes learning the fundamentals of medical device testing, acquiring hands-on experience with test designs and methods involving clinical samples, and learning how to use data analysis software. Internship responsibilities include the following:
- Assist development scientists in conducting analytical studies using the GeneXpert platform.
- Perform statistical analysis of experimental data and summarize results to the team.
- Prepare and purify DNA and RNA for analysis as appropriate from various clinical samples.
- Maintain detailed experimental records and documents results in a technical report in a laboratory notebook.
- Follow laboratory safety guidelines and practices; maintain and promote a safe working environment and ensure that all reagents and supplies meet quality control standards.
- Current enrollment in a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree program in Molecular Biology or a related scientific discipline is required.
- 1-3 years of hands-on laboratory experience in an academic research laboratory, biotechnology/medical device industry lab, or a public health laboratory.
- Demonstrated ability to perform nucleic acid amplification is essential. Experience with histological techniques, bloodborne pathogens, or tissue culture is desirable.
- Nucleic acid isolation, purification, and characterization experience.
- Ability to handle biological samples i.e. blood, tissue, etc. as test materials.
- Proficient in standard Microsoft Office programs. Experience with statistical software such as R is highly desirable.
- Must be detail-oriented, have effective record-keeping skills, and have a disciplined approach to completing tasks and laboratory responsibilities.
- Should have excellent written, oral communication and team skills.
- As part of Cepheid’s Biosafety and Bloodborne Pathogen Exposure Control Plan, any associate who will be working with biohazardous materials or those who are required to work where others are using biohazardous materials, will be required to show proof of Hepatitis B Vaccination and take a biosafety training.
- For associates who are not vaccinated but are willing to be, Cepheid will schedule the vaccination with our occupational health clinic before the intern goes into the lab.
Hiring managers and Cepheid’s Biosafety Officer will determine which internships fall under this requirement.