Kroger Intern – Food Science & Quality Assurance
Kroger Intern – Food Science & Quality Assurance. At Kroger, we are looking for talented and engaged individuals. We need leaders who actively participate in our mission to deliver safe, high quality products of exceptional value to our customers. Our nationwide manufacturing team includes 30+ Dairy and Deli/Bakery facilities working hard to provide 33% of the Our Brands Units sold in Kroger stores.
Intern – Food Science & Quality Assurance
Company Name: Michigan Dairy
Position Type: Intern
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
About the Location: Michigan Dairy – Livonia, MI
Michigan Dairy has been part of the Kroger company since 1967 and changed its name from The Kroger Dairy to Michigan Dairy in 1984 to accommodate custom sales. Michigan Dairy provides liquid dairy, water, juices and culture products like cottage cheese and sour cream to about 150 Kroger stores in the Midwest. In 2017, Michigan Dairy celebrated 50 years of business.
About the Position:
As a Kroger Manufacturing Quality Assurance Intern, you will have the opportunity to learn the science of large-scale food manufacturing through a 10-week program designed to help students in their professional development and provide hands-on real-world experience. Our programs are unique to the facilities that host them and provide specialized opportunities geared towards the needs of our bakeries, dairies and other assorted product lines.
As a Michigan Dairy Intern, you will be part of a small cohort that meets regularly via our virtual platforms for progress updates, professional support and coaching and presentations from a variety of Kroger leaders. Some of your essential functions as a Lab Technician Intern may include:
- Participates in CIP projects, verify/validate CIP washes, and able to provide optimization opportunities. Able to measure, analyze, and report out findings and suggestions
- Conducts analytical acceptance tests for raw milk (antibiotic testing, cryoscope, DMCC, etc.)
- Conducts in-process release testing (i.e., butterfat, protein, solids, brix, acidity, ascorbic acid, pH, chlorine, ozone, etc.)
- Conducts pre-operational inspections (ATP swabbing of equipment, air testing, environmental monitoring, etc.)
- Performs and interprets the results of chemical, microbiological, sensory, and visual testing.
- Audit finished products to ensure specifications are met such as: temperature, weight, code date, shelf life flavoring, microbiological testing, etc.
Complete assigned programs or program sections under supervision as a member of the team. Perform all jobs safely, efficiently and accurately to maintainand improve the performance of the entire plant in the areas of Safety, Quality, Reliability (SQR) and our Customer 1st strategy. Role model and demonstrate the company’s core values of respect, honesty, integrity, diversity, inclusion and safety of others.
Essential Job Functions:
- Apply discipline specific principles through involvement in meaningful projects to expand technical and business skills. Disciplines include; HumanResources, Operations, Engineering, Sourcing & Procurement, Corporate Brands, Quality Assurance, Information systems and Finance.
- Follow established programs, policies and practices to produce safe quality foods that meet regulatory and company requirements.
- Support the development, implementation, maintenance, and ongoing improvement of the SQF 2000 Systems.
- Accountable to the Kroger Manufacturing Food Safety and Quality Principles.
- Must be able to perform the essential functions of this position with or without reasonable accommodation.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- Current student actively pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree in related field.
- 0 to 1 year of related experience.
- Basic math skills.
- Strong analytical ability.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to comprehend complex verbal and written instructions.
Desired Previous Job Experience
- Graduate degree in (discipline/s) preferred.
- Experience in manufacturing environment.